voice.jpg

THE POSSIBILITY OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD Unquestionably the knowledge of God is desirable; the yearnings of mankind testify to that. But is it possible? The Scriptures attest to two facts: the incomprehensibility of God and the knowability of God. To say that He is incomprehensible is to assert that the mind cannot grasp the knowledge of Him. To say that He is knowable Is to claim that He can be known. Both are true though neither in an absolute sense. To say that God is incomprehensible is to assert that man cannot know everything about Him. To say that He is knowable is not to assert that man can know everything about Him. Both truths are affirmed in the Scriptures: His incomprehensibility in verses like Job 11:7 and Isaiah 40:18, and His knowability in verses like John 14:7; 17:3; and 1 John 5:20.

The Revelation of God: Historically, the two avenues through which God has taken the initiative to reveal Himself have been labeled general and special revelation. General revelation includes all that God has revealed in the world around us, including man, while special revelation includes various means He used to communicate His message in what was codified in the Bible. General revelation is sometimes called natural theology and special revelation is called revealed revelation, However, of course, what is revealed in nature is also revealed in the spirit. Some writers use the labels prelapsarian for general revelation and postlapsarian or soteric for special revelation. However, both general and special revelation are (a) from God and (b) about God. In this chapter we shall discuss general revelation mostly, leaving other aspects of the doctrine of revelation to section III. General revelation provides evidences for the existence of God. Special revelation, on the other hand, generally assumes His existence.

The Perfections of God: If the question was asked, can God be known? the question of this chapter is, can God be defined? If a definition consists of “a word or phrase expressing the essential nature of a person or thing,” then God cannot be defined, for no word or even phrase could express His essential nature. No one could put together such a definition of God. But if the definition were descriptive, then it is possible to define God, though not exhaustively. Indeed, most definitions are descriptive. One of the most famous, that in the Westminster Shorter Catechism, illustrates this kind of definition when it describes God as “Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in His being, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth” (Question). The longer description in the Westminster Confession of Faith simply adds more attributes like love, mercy, and freedom. Even those definitions simply list some of the attributes of God. Attributes are qualities that are inherent to a subject. They identify, distinguish, or analyze the subject. “The Attributes of God.” I prefer “Perfections” because all of the qualities or attributes of God are perfect. His attributes are His perfections.

The Names of God :The many names of God in the Scripture provide additional revelation of His character. These are not mere titles assigned by people but, for the most part, His own descriptions of Himself. As such they reveal aspects of His character. Even when no particular name is used, the occurrence of the phrase “the name of the Lord” reveals something of His character. To call on the name of the Lord was to worship Him (Gen. 21:33). To take His name in vain was to dishonor Him (Ex. 20:7). Not to follow the requirements of the Law involved profaning His name (Lev. 22:2, 32). Priests performed their service in the name of the Lord (Deut. 21:5). His name pledged the continuation of the nation (1 Sam. 12:22).

OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD

ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1Psalm 19:1meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.

ADONAI......Malachi 1:6meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.

JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4a reference to God's divine salvation.

JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"

JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1meaning "The Lord my shepherd"

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35meaning "The Lord who is present"

JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26meaning "The Lord our healer"

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14meaning "The Lord will provide"

JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15meaning "The Lord our banner"

JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24meaning "The Lord is peace"

JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3meaning "The Lord of Hosts"

JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6meaning "The God of Recompense"

EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14meaning "The most high God

EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13meaning "The strong one who sees"

EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty

"EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31 meaning "The everlasting God"

Go to the Library and Studies and learn more names of God, and his Trinity.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ne'eman 

• I enjoyed this reading..Amen 

• Someone once said to me don't put God in a box...and the meaning of that goes far. We may not know all, everything about God, but God helps us to understand about His word, power, voice, and what He shows us through Him.
  • everyday you get to know god more and more

• Amen!!!! This reading was very enlightening! Love the break downs of your God's names.

• I love this kind of knowledge. I think it creates an intimacy between you and God. So when you are in a certain situation you can call God by the name that means what you need him to be.
  • amen same here

Malvin Jones, Sr. said:

I am excited about getting to know God better and improving our relationship.  Amen!

• Amen. I need to lwarn the namws and difference.
  • Amen. There is no name greater!!!
  • Amen. God is so Awesome. 

This reply was deleted.