Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:13).
Today’s Devotional Here are the remaining New Testament Greek words that express different visionary states. Ekstasis Ekstasis, from which our English word ecstasy is derived, means “amazement, astonishment, or a trance.” Literally, ekstasis means “a displacement of the mind,” or “bewilderment.” When translated as “trance,” ekstasis refers to one being caught up in the Spirit so as to receive those revelations that God intends.
Apokalupsis With apokalupsis, we come to the most frequently used word in the New Testament to describe a visionary state. Apokalupsis literally means “disclosure,” an “appearing” or “coming ,” a “manifestation.” It carries specifically the sense of something hidden that has now been uncovered or revealed.
Egenomehn ehn pneumati The phrase egenomehn ehn pneumati literally means “to become in the Spirit,” a state in which one could see visions and be informed or spoken directly to by the Spirit of God. Therein lies the secret to how we get revelation.
We do it by first getting in the Spirit. The more we are filled with the Spirit and walk in the Spirit, the more we become one with the Spirit, and the more our eyes will be opened to see in the Spirit. He will give us the perception to look into the spiritual realm.
1. Have you ever had an ekstasis vision, or do you personally know someone who has had this type of vision? What did the vision entail? Why do you think God revealed it? What resulted from its revelation?
2. Have you or someone you know experienced an apokalupsis? How do hidden things become revealed in this vision?
3. What is your understanding of the egenomehn ehn pneumati visionary state? Have you or someone you know experienced this? What impact can this visionary state have on one’s life?
4. Looking at the three visionary states above, which would you say the Lord needs to develop more in His Body? Why?
5. In order to get revelation, we must first get in the Spirit. What does this mean to you? How does a person become one with the Spirit?
Meditation Have you ever had an experience where you suddenly felt like a little light went on inside? You may not necessarily have had an actual vision, but just a sense that something that you did not understand, something that was hidden from you, was now revealed.
That is an apokalupsis-type experience. If you have experienced this type of vision, how did God use it?
If you have not experienced this, how can you prepare yourself to receive such revelation?