Sons of Jacob

"Sons of Jacob"

By "the sons of Jacob" are meant persons who enjoy peculiar rights and titles. Jacob had no rights by birth; but he soon acquired them. He changed a mess of pottage with his brother Esau, and thus gained the birthright. I do not justify the means; but he did also obtain the blessing, and so acquired peculiar rights. By the "sons of Jacob" are meant persons who have peculiar rights and titles. Unto them that believe, He hath given the right and power to become sons of God. They have an interest in the blood of Christ; they have a right to "enter in through the gates Into the city"; they have a title to eternal honours; they have a promise to everlasting glory; they have a right to call themselves sons of God. Oh! there are peculiar rights and privileges belonging to the "sons of Jacob."

But these "sons of Jacob" were men of peculiar manifestations. Jacob had had peculiar manifestations from his God, and thus he was highly honoured. Once, at night-time, he lay down and slept; he had the hedges for his curtains, the sky for his canopy, a stone for his pillow, and the earth for his bed. Oh! then he had a peculiar manifestation. There was a ladder, and he saw the angels of God ascending and descending. He thus had a manifestation of Christ Jesus, as the ladder which reaches from earth to heaven, up and down which angels came to bring us mercies. Then what a manifestation there was at Mahanaim, when the angels of God met him; and again at Peniel, when he wrestled with God, and saw Him face to face. Those were peculiar manifestations; and this passage refers to those who, like Jacob, have had peculiar manifestations.

The sons of Jacob have had peculiar manifestations. They have talked with God as a man talketh with his friend; they have whispered in the ear of Jehovah; Christ hath been with them to sup with them, and they with Christ; and the Holy Spirit hath shone into their souls with such a mighty radiance, that they could not doubt about special manifestations. The "sons of Jacob" are the men who enjoy these manifestations.

Then, they are men of peculiar trials. Ah! poor Jacob! I should not choose Jacob's lot if I had not the prospect of Jacob's blessing; for a hard lot his was. He had to run away from his father's house to Laban's; and then that surly old Laban cheated him all the years he was there—cheated him of his wife, cheated him in his wages, cheated him in his flocks, and cheated him all through the story. By-and-bye he had to run away from Laban, who pursued him and overtook him. Next came Esau with four hundred men to cut him up root and branch. Then there was a season of prayer, and afterwards he wrestled, and had to go all his life with his thigh out of joint. But a little further on, Rachel, his dear beloved, died. Then his daughter Dinah is led astray, and the sons murder the Shechemites. Anon there is dear Joseph sold into Egypt, and a famine comes. Then Reuben goes up to his couch and pollutes it; Judah commits incest with his own daughter-in-law; and all his sons become a plague to him. At last Benjamin is taken away; and the old man, almost broken-hearted, cries, "Joseph is not, and Simeon is not, and ye will take Benjamin away." Never was man more tried than Jacob, all through the one sin of cheating his brother. All through his life God chastised him. But I believe there are many who can sympathize with dear old Jacob. They have had to pass through trials very much like his. Well, cross-bearers! God says, "I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed." Poor tried souls! ye are not consumed because of the unchanging nature of your God. Now do not get fretting, and say, with the self-conceit of misery, "I am the man who hath seen affliction." Why, "the Man of Sorrows" was afflicted more than you; Jesus was indeed a mourner. You only see the skirts of the garments of affliction. You never have trials like His. You do not understand what troubles mean; you have hardly sipped the cup of trouble; you have only had a drop or two, but Jesus drank the dregs. "Fear not," saith God, "I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob," men of peculiar trials, "are not consumed."

Then, "sons of Jacob" are men of peculiar character; for though there were some things about Jacob's character which we cannot commend, there are one or two things which God commends. There was Jacob's faith, by which Jacob had his name written amongst the mighty worthies who obtained not the promises on earth, but shall obtain them in heaven. Are you men of faith, beloved? Do you know what it is to walk by faith, to live by faith, to get your temporary food by faith, to live on spiritual manna—all by faith? Is faith the rule of your life? if so, you are the "sons of Jacob."

Then Jacob was a man of prayer—a man who wrestled, and groaned, and prayed. "Ah! you poor heathen, don't you pray?" "No!" you say, "I never thought of such a thing; for years I have not prayed." Well, I hope you may before you die. Live and die without prayer, and you will pray long enough when you get to hell. There is a woman: she was so busy sending her children to the Sunday-school, she had no time to pray. No time to pray? Had you time to dress? There is a time for every purpose under heaven, and if you had purposed to pray, you would have prayed. Sons of God cannot live without prayer. They are wrestling Jacobs. They are men in whom the Holy Ghost so works, that they can no more live without prayer than I can live without breathing. They must pray. Mark you, if you are living without prayer, you are living without Christ; and dying like that, your portion will be in the lake which burneth with fire. God redeem you, God rescue you from such a lot! But you who are "the sons of Jacob" take comfort, for God is immutable.

Database Copyright 2007 WORDsearch Corp.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My God what a Powerful reading about Jacob. I have to say God do show us mercy because did one wrong thing and was punish. But God do have a point Jesus is the one who had the most trouble and went through the most misery. No one can compare to that at all..My its just to do right and to stay on God Great excellent side. 

• Wow yes i cant see myself living without prayer. I cant see myself not doing it. I mean prayer is everything you must be truly living without God not prayin no interest to know what that life is like. Smh. God be with them. 

• The Sons of Jacob ~Persons who enjoy peculiar rights and titles. Unto them that believe he have given the right and power to become Sons of God. However, Jacob suffered from his ill gotten gain but God is yet faithful unto his word. The Lord honors his word in our lives and has no respector of persons he will do just what he said he would do. He is awesome in all of his ways. We can enjoy the fruits of our labors for God and continue to live blessed and prosperous lives in the body of christ. 

• The sons of Jacob have had peculiar manifestations. They have talked with God as a man talketh with his friend; they have whispered in the ear of Jehovah; Christ hath been with them to sup with them, and they with Christ; and the Holy Spirit hath shone into their souls with such a mighty radiance, that they could not doubt about special manifestations. The "sons of Jacob" are the men who enjoy these manifestations.

There is manifestations happing in our lives everyday, but we fail to notice them. We have to be in a place with the same relationship as the "Sons of Jacob", talking with God as if we were talking with our friends. An honest conversation with God is the best and will lead to happiness, and much more.

• HalleluYAH, bless you Pastor Patricia, as you stated above the Sons of Jacob, sit, rested, talked, and had communion with God to build a strong FriendShift and RelationShift with their Yahweh. God is calling forth the Sons of Jacob

• Ne'eman this was deep. I muat admit i uae to be one who barely prayed but since i got myslef together i cant see me not doing a no days off frfr i pray all day just bout.  A strong prayer Life is the best kind to have. 

• Ne'Eman Prophetess Domonique, prayer is the healing elixir, it is the solemn request, and inner cry to God. It is the fidelity of something dynamic to Manifest in our womb(spirits) when we have a communication outline to God. It is the details of how God sees us as his children, and his Divine promises being made alive, through our prayers. My God 

• yes I totally get this we have not been none of the stuff Jacob had been through but he still remained happy. So that is what I must do remain happy at all cause. I must be very greatful for everything and think about the happiness things I have to do. 

• GlorYAH to God Prophetess Lapresha, being humble and having gratitude for everything in our lives is the open door to God's chambers.

This reply was deleted.