Five-Fold Ministry

The Five-Fold Ministry doctrine is derived from Ephesians 4:11 "And He
gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some,
pastors and teachers;"

hand4.gif

Just as the "little cloud...like a man's hand" (I Kings 18:44) preceeded the flooding rain, the five ministry giftings will preceed the greatest outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Holiness and power that the Church of Jesus Christ has ever known.

For almost two thousand years the Church has hobbled about in self-imposed weakness because of Her failure to recognize God's provision for power.

The same preachers who warn us: "Never pray for patience" for "tribulation worketh patience" (Romans 5:3) admonish us to pray and fast for maturity and unity, when our Father's provision is already revealed in Ephesians 4:11-15.

Perhaps their blindness to the truth is motivated by an improper understanding of the ministry gifts. Perhaps they feel that the recognition of these gifts would impose some sort of clerical heirarchy upon the Church. Quite the opposite is true. The function of the ministry gifts and their benefits are like salvation: our Heavenly Father doesn't force salvation on us, our acceptance of Christ as our Savior and all the ensuing benefits is voluntary. The same with the ministry gifts.

Several years ago, I flew to Florida to help my sister-in-law move back to Michigan. Before departing, I gave instructions to a friend to make sure the car was ready for the journey. When I arrived, I discovered that the car which was supposed to haul my sister-in-law and her family as well as a trailer had only four of it's six cylinders functioning. Additionally, the transmission had only second and third gear... no first or reverse! We survived the 1300 mile trip. However, our journey would have much easier had the car been functioning the way it's designers had intended.

As a young Christian, I was told to "read the red" (in other words: study the Gospels, especially the words of Christ). Well, I did. And one thing I learned by studying Jesus' teachings was that He expected the Church to walk in power, unity and maturity. Thirty years later, I can only deduce that today's Church is weak and divided because we are running on only one or two cylinders instead of the five originally intended.

Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11
Responsibility Natural Manifestation
Apostle Doctrine and Discipline Enjoys building things: projects, businesses, etc.
Prophet Discern and Proclaim God's Word. Has a keen (sometimes problematic) sense of Justice.
Evangelist Present the Gospel of Christ to the lost. Enjoys direct contact with people. Most are successful salesmen.
Pastor To care for the everyday needs of the church family Enjoys serving. Loves to have people come to their home.
Teacher Instruct the Church in the practicalapplication of God's Word. Is able to explain complex issues in a way that even a child can understand.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Amazing I never knew there was a five fold ministry, I always thought it was just pastor's this is knowledge to my ears I'm excited to see what my is. All of these seem to play an important role in the ministry but all the same goal Ne'eman. 

• Wow I did I missed this this was very deep for me to know about who I am again

•  I agree with the reading, I believe we are just running on two cylinders, but I know God is preparing his servants to go out and walk in the Five-Fold Ministries. Jesus help us...

• This is very enlightening,many people are not aware of the functions of the five fold and as a result they don't understand what components are missing in the operation of ministry. It is virtually impossible to fully function if all components are not in place and functioning properly. Therefore full potential is not being reached.Gods purpose is not being fulfilled in most cases
  • Amen, Lisa yes I agree the Body of Christ, needs to come together as one in Unity. This how the true Anointing and Power of God manifest in the earth realm.

Lisa Leonard said:
    A true out of alignment of the churches as a whole. I pray that all leaders come on one accord in unity composed of the wholeness (Five-Fold-Ministry, the hand) of God. That they are healed, walk righteously, have no double-minded thinking, are filled with the spirit, repent, and choose to honor God....in Jesus name.
  • A true out of alignment of the churches as a whole. I pray that all leaders come on one accord in unity composed of the wholeness (Five-Fold-Ministry, the hand) of God. That they are healed, walk righteously, have no double-minded thinking, are filled with the spirit, repent, and choose to honor God....in Jesus name.
  • This portion really stood out to me, "...the Church has hobbled about in self-imposed weakness because of Her failure to recognize God's provision for power."  God does grant power.  However, as His people in the body of Christ, we must take time to recognize this power.

• Yes, it's all for the purpose and function of the church as a "WHOLE".  
    Sharazard Crummy said:

We cannot come to maturity without recognizing the five-fold ministry gifts ofEphesians 4:11  comments.gif – apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (they are a team)! Their purpose and function is for “the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God, to a perfect (“mature”) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children(immature), tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine(“teaching”), by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up (mature) in all things into Him who is the head – Christ – from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love” (Ephesians 4:11-16 

This reply was deleted.