Five-Fold Ministry

The Five-Fold Ministry doctrine is derived from Ephesians 4:11 "And He
gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some,
pastors and teachers;"

hand4.gif

Just as the "little cloud...like a man's hand" (I Kings 18:44) preceeded the flooding rain, the five ministry giftings will preceed the greatest outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Holiness and power that the Church of Jesus Christ has ever known.

For almost two thousand years the Church has hobbled about in self-imposed weakness because of Her failure to recognize God's provision for power.

The same preachers who warn us: "Never pray for patience" for "tribulation worketh patience" (Romans 5:3) admonish us to pray and fast for maturity and unity, when our Father's provision is already revealed in Ephesians 4:11-15.

Perhaps their blindness to the truth is motivated by an improper understanding of the ministry gifts. Perhaps they feel that the recognition of these gifts would impose some sort of clerical heirarchy upon the Church. Quite the opposite is true. The function of the ministry gifts and their benefits are like salvation: our Heavenly Father doesn't force salvation on us, our acceptance of Christ as our Savior and all the ensuing benefits is voluntary. The same with the ministry gifts.

Several years ago, I flew to Florida to help my sister-in-law move back to Michigan. Before departing, I gave instructions to a friend to make sure the car was ready for the journey. When I arrived, I discovered that the car which was supposed to haul my sister-in-law and her family as well as a trailer had only four of it's six cylinders functioning. Additionally, the transmission had only second and third gear... no first or reverse! We survived the 1300 mile trip. However, our journey would have much easier had the car been functioning the way it's designers had intended.

As a young Christian, I was told to "read the red" (in other words: study the Gospels, especially the words of Christ). Well, I did. And one thing I learned by studying Jesus' teachings was that He expected the Church to walk in power, unity and maturity. Thirty years later, I can only deduce that today's Church is weak and divided because we are running on only one or two cylinders instead of the five originally intended.

Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11
Responsibility Natural Manifestation
Apostle Doctrine and Discipline Enjoys building things: projects, businesses, etc.
Prophet Discern and Proclaim God's Word. Has a keen (sometimes problematic) sense of Justice.
Evangelist Present the Gospel of Christ to the lost. Enjoys direct contact with people. Most are successful salesmen.
Pastor To care for the everyday needs of the church family Enjoys serving. Loves to have people come to their home.
Teacher Instruct the Church in the practicalapplication of God's Word. Is able to explain complex issues in a way that even a child can understand.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The five fold ministry gifts are given for the edification of the body, Every joint supplying according to its design.

Recently I took a test and I score equally as high for all areas - I specifically heard from God that I am HIs prophetess, I  am always ready to proclaim the Word of God. I enjoy direct contact with people.I also enjoy serving, I love to have people come to my home and I am able to explain  information in terms that a child can understand.

• I love it,read the red!! The Spirit of God is awesome.. How awesome would it be too see the Five-Fold ministry in action on a regular bases. Hell wouldn't stand a chance.
  • When I think about the  Five-Fold Ministry I get excited just  reading about it makes me embrace  it  more and more.

I was in church one day and a man of God said you know, God is getting rid of the  Five-Fold Ministry people in there just shook they head and agreed , saying Amen.

On thing God has taught me not to always  Amen stuff you do not know what you are Amening  to. The Bible doesn't  change for him to say this really shocked me.

The teaching is so important to the point that it really shows in detail what we are   required to do for those that walk in that particular gift.

• Praise God for the greatest out pouring of the Holy Spirit in holiness and power the church & world has ever seen...
    I have had people in the body tell me to don't pray for patience. I conquer with the provisions of the Lord, I love particular passages of Ephesians, but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head Jesus Christ.

Lord fill me with the knowledge of the will with all spiritual wisdom and understanding that I may walk worthy of the calling you have placed upon mylife...

Wow!!! The Body Of Christ Leaders & Five Fold Ministry Gifts, Holy Spirit move like never before upon your people & set things in order...

• Praise God for the greatest out pouring of the Holy Spirit in holiness and power the church & world has ever seen...I have had people in the body tell me to don't pray for patience. I conquer with the provisions of the Lord, I love this  particular passage in Ephesians, but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head Jesus Christ. Lord fill me with the knowledge of the will with all spiritual wisdom and understanding that I may walk worthy of the calling you have placed upon mylife...

Wow!!! The Body Of Christ Leaders & Five Fold Ministry Gifts, Holy Spirit move like never before upon your people & set things in order...

• If more churches would embrace the Five- Fold ministry, We as followers of Christ can be more effective in drawing and keeping ppl in the Body of Christ. Its no longer about numbers in the Churches but are we reaching the unchurched? Instead of fighting about titles and members if we allowed the five fold to work in the building we would as a body be more effective... No one person can do it all, even Jesus did not attempt to do it all on his own so are we greater then our Master? NO!!!

• Blessings Pastor Marsha, I love your response to this post. What really caught my eye is when you stated: The five-fold leaders must embrace, identify, and develop their gifts in order to upbuild the Kingdom of God and Body of Christ. Why do you think many leaders or churches are afraid to utilize and embrace the five-fold ministry? What would you say to a leader if he-or-she would ask you for your advice, about them function only on one out of the five-fold? Please Explain?

Pastor Marsha Jones said:

Wow! This is an "eye-opener" passage. In order for the church and any other ministry, establishment to function properly, it must have all of its parts fully operational. The five-fold ministry leaders must identify, embrace, and develop their gifts to use for the upbuilding of the Kingdom of God. One cannot operate in partial gifts, but must be equipped and mature.

Pastor Marsha Jones 01/22/15

• I agree Prophetess Patricia. The five-fold ministry leaders must not only identify and develop their gifts, but they must do it for others as well. They must be fully equipped for this arduous journey.

Prophetess Patricia A Johnson said:

The Five-Fold Ministry is gifts God has given to the church for perfecting, the work of the ministry, edifying the body of Christ.  We all produce a function within the church.  Also in my studies our oneness in Christ does not destroy our individuality.  The Holy Spirit has given each Christian special gifts for building up the church.  We all have a part; after last night I know that I know my calling, my gifts and I will utilize them to the fullest.   

• Wow! This is an "eye-opener" passage. In order for the church and any other ministry, establishment to function properly, it must have all of its parts fully operational. The five-fold ministry leaders must identify, embrace, and develop their gifts to use for the upbuilding of the Kingdom of God. One cannot operate in partial gifts, but must be equipped and mature.

• Yes, I agree Prophetess Jennifer, we have to take the shackle and the chains off, and do as God has call us to do, accept his calling and move out on it.  Amen.
    Jennifer Dillon said:

I was wondering why people always said don't pray for patience! Lord I'm so enjoing this class and all that I'm learning...the church needs more people to walk in their calling so that people can be healed and set free
This reply was deleted.