February 18, 2011 Free Lynn Cowell "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." Psalm 119:45 (NIV) Devotion: Being busy, overwhelmed in fact, made me feel important. I loved nothing more than creating a to-do list, simply for the happiness of checking it off. Even better was recounting the day back to my husband; my life sounded so important! Running around had a purpose. Busyness quieted the voices of insignificance that screamed inside my head. But it wore me down. The pay-off simply wasn't there. Soon I sensed God asking me to take things off my plate. When I didn't, He started removing them...one by one. That is when I began to experience freedom and the peace that comes from simply being. I found my completion in being His girl. The more I embraced the Lord, the more His freedom became the thing I cherished. Dictionary.com defines freedom as the state of being free or at liberty, rather than in confinement or under physical restraint. Freedom is my word for 2011, a word I want to fully understand. A word I am defining for me as: unconfined by my human limitations; free to be an expression of my amazing God and His revolutionary love. David must have been a bit like me; a man prone to have to preach to himself on occasion. He gave himself this command, "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts" (Psalm 119:45, NIV). In the original language "freedom" here means spacious, broad, roomy. That's not exactly how most non-Christians would describe Christians. But spacious, broad and roomy is exactly what Jesus has for those who are His. Since God is not a God of chaos or confinement, when I follow His ways He brings freedom. He causes the things He has not called me to do, or to be a part of, to fade in the background. That is where my purpose is peaceful. Father, I need Your freedom - the ability to move about without being driven by compulsion or emotions. I seek Your direction to find Your freedom. I choose to allow my expectations to fade, enabling my family and friends to walk in a spacious and broad place. I choose to walk in Your ways, not cluttering life with me and my agenda, but having room to be led by Your Spirit. Thank You, Lord, for giving me what only You can give...true freedom. In Jesus' Name, Amen. Application Steps: In what area of life do you struggle to experience freedom and peace? Take today's key verse and insert your struggle. For example: "I will walk about in freedom from controlling my family, for I have sought out Your precepts." Write this out. Memorize it. Make it your go-to place when you need God's freedom. Maybe like Lynn was, you are addicted to frenzy and you don't want to exchange crazy for calm. Ask the Lord to give you a desire to experience His peace. Reflections: Why do I struggle to have freedom in certain areas of my life? (Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the root cause of the struggle.) With the root revealed, what actions do I need to take toward freedom? (For example: pray for faith, choose forgiveness, focus on my completion in Christ, etc.) Power Verses: Galatians 5:1, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (NIV)

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 1
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My God what a powerful reading. This is something we need to read daily. I will help us to be free from alot of stuff that goes on in our lives indivdually. This reading is destroying a lot of stuff that I say I need to do and don't get the chance because I am too productive. No more will I be so prodcutive for God he is the one who make everything happen for us. I tild him the remind today to study. And he did he had it in my head all day. He had allowed my day to be canceled so I can study fir him. I love him so much. 

This reply was deleted.