What Is The Soul?

Recently, while teaching at The Den, my Internet program, I touched on the area of the soul and the response from our watchers, the Warriors, was truly overwhelming. As a result of this, and of course the prompting of the Spirit of God, I began compiling a series of teachings on the soul from a prophetic perspective.

Some of the questions I will address are: Does the soul contribute to one hearing the voice of God, or does it hinder it? Is there such a thing as the "eye" of the soul? If the Spirit leads us, then where does the soul fit into the directive?

During these teachings, I will endeavor to supply knowledge to you, which ultimately, if you apply it in your life, will help you not only in being led by the Spirit, but to reach others who are in desperate need for help.

Let's start...in Mark 8:36-37"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

The soul is often called the heart of man.The loss of the soul is the highest, greatest loss; a loss that can never be repaired or made up. The soul is often called the HEART of man.Good or evil have their rise within the soul or heart of man.

The first conception of good or evil is in the soul. The soul understands, wills, reasons, judges; these are the faculties of the soul. So, "heart" and "soul" are often taken for one and the same. "For out of the heart (soul) proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts..."(Matthew 15:19).

The soul of a man is his understanding, reason and conscience, etc. The soul needs breath – God's breath; otherwise it weakens and relies on other "breath" to keep it going. Pleasures are more relied upon to keep one "breathing"; alcohol, drugs, etc. become a substitute, and the list goes on.

David truly understood how to keep his soul divinely breathing. David called his soul his "darling." He said, "Deliver Lord, my soul from the sword, mydarling from the power of the dog." Psalm 35:17 says, "Lord, how long wilt thou look on? Rescue my soul from their destructions, my darling from the lions." Most men say of their souls, "My slave," "My yoke," and, "My drudge..."

Do you love your soul? If you don't love your soul, you will lose it. That's the start. We are told, "Love your neighbor as [you love] yourself." If you despise your soul, which is the real you, you will never obey that commandment.

Spirit and Soul Have Different Understandings

Eyes of your understandingJob spoke about the "spirit of my understanding" (Job 20:3).

Also read Ephesians 1:17-18"...[I pray] that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him; the eyes of your understandingbeing enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints..."

Soul Understanding

Your soul has to understand your spirit, and likewise your spirit has to understand your soul to bring a balance in your journey in this life. The soul understands certain things and the spirit understands certain things. Spirit has no restrictions in its understanding of the spiritual life, but in regard to reason, emotions, etc., there are restrictions. The soul has restrictions in its understanding beyond reason, emotion, etc.

It's quite fascinating, but once there is a mutual understanding between the two powerful entities, a marriage takes place and many beautiful blessings are born; great supernatural acts are accomplished and, most importantly, other souls are reached, touched, and restored.

Restore my soulWhy do you think David was so strict with his soul? He would constantly put it in check, speak to it, encourage it, command it, and nurture it. He knew the importance of the soul beingrestored and healed.

In fact, in the beautiful and famousPsalm 23, he wrote these words, "He restores my soul. He [then] leads me in right paths." I am suggesting today that you simply cannot be led by the Spirit if your soul is damaged or hurt in any way. Yes, your soul can be hurt because it is the very heart of your being. Your soul knows love, but it has also experienced hatred. David would never have prayed for his soul to be restored if it was not wounded or hurt.

Everyone wants God to lead him or her in the right paths in order to accomplish great things while on the earth. Once you have an understanding of how to prevent damage to your soul, you will go from victory to victory, from one state of existence to a higher state of existence, and your presence will fill a room with unusual aromas of sweetness, power, peace, hope, love, and life.

Do you want that? DO YOU? Of course you do, and here are some keys for you to apply and start being a blessing instead of always wanting a blessing.

Internal Dialogue

Your soul is aware of internal dialogue. It can sense when someone despises you, is critical toward you, is cursing you, questioning you, and so on. Jesus was constantly aware of internal dialogue, and on many occasions dealt with it before it proceeded out of their mouths.

Matthew 9:1-7 So He got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city. Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you." And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, "This Man blasphemes!" But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins" – then He said to the paralytic, "Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house."

This is where you need help from your spirit.The problem with us is that when we "sense" something, we try and reason, judge, and oftentimes because of the lack of discernment, allow it to simmer within until it causes our soul to get bitter, and then it's downhill from that point. This is where you need help from your spirit.

If you study Paul's writing in 1 Corinthians 12, he speaks about nine gifts of the Spirit. One of these gifts is the "discerning of spirits." When you're in the position, and you're not sure about what you're sensing, it's time to lean on your spirit to discern for you, without emotion, reason, judgment, etc.

The discerning of spirits, as stated in 1 Corinthians 12:10, is the ability (when needed) to perceive and recognize what manner of spirit (human spirit in this instance – as it could be angelic or demonic as well) is affecting you. Once the spirit discerns this, it offers that information to the soul, thereby equipping the soul with correct judgment. Cool, eh?

One of the greatest ways of avoiding soul damage is to obey the commands of Jesus. He tells us to forgive, turn the other cheek, give an extra coat when asked for, pray for your enemies, knowing that these are preventatives that guard the soul. It all has to do with giving to others.

I have found that when the Spirit prompts me to give an offering, and I obey Him, something happens to me that does NOT happen when I receive. He said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35). When you give an offering, you are being a blessing. Start this journey today by becoming a blessing.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is very powerful information to not damage the soul you have to keep God's commandments it's like he says in his word if you love me keep my commandments, same thing for our souls, Lord help me to love my soul by doing what you ask of me.

• Amen 

• Mark 8:36 touches me so for different reasons. I pray that peoples souls are restored and saved in Jesus name.
  • it is so vital to pray for your enemy and even bless them when they wish evil for you because god will make your enemy your foot stool you just do wright

• Wow, when I was reading this I was hearing " How can two walk together excepted they agree." It's power in agreement = balance  I mean we're commanded to protect our soul, and speak over it!(pray). David was aligning his soul with the spirit so that they can be in total agreement with God!  God heal the souls of your people!

• Understanding how not to damage our souls are very important. 

• Amenn yesss

Hazel said:

I COMMAND MY SOUL TO BE IN DIVINE ALINGMENT WITH MY SPIRIT MAN, IN JESUS NAME.

• Amen putting my heart in check like David encouraging it and all...Fix it Jesus.
This reply was deleted.