1 Chronicles 21:9-13

New International Version (NIV)

The Lord said to Gad, David’s seer, 10 “Go and tell David, ‘This is what the Lord says: I am giving you three options. Choose one of them for me to carry out against you.’”

11 So Gad went to David and said to him, “This is what the Lord says: ‘Take your choice: 12 three years of famine, three months of being swept away[a] before your enemies, with their swords overtaking you, or three days of the sword of the Lord—days of plague in the land, with the angel of the Lord ravaging every part of Israel.’ Now then, decide how I should answer the one who sent me.”

13 David said to Gad, “I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into human hands.”

Footnotes:

1. 1 Chronicles 21:12 Hebrew; Septuagint and Vulgate (see also 2 Samuel 24:13) of fleeing

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And to respond to the two questions pastor Wiley asked. ,why do you think that men and women of God has lost their way In ministry and why don't they have a repentant heart like David?
    first off I believe when the Prophet Gad had approached any other women and men today normally they would have had a reason for why they did what they did. They wouldn't have taken responsibility and probably would have been thinking like who are you to tell me about my sins? God speaks to me too. God said what? That's not God! Good is merciful. I could go to God for myself and so on and so forth. And that's why they don't have a repentant heart like David because they don't take the responsibility and if you don't take responsibility for what you have done all cause this and that you have committed the you will not repent so where there is no responsibility taken there is no repentance.
  • Mother I agree. And what you shared is true and it's a blessing. I also prayed the prayer
    at the end. And it is so!!!!

Mother Shirley Lee said:

Going back as far as Adam. In the (1 Chron.11th chapter) We see David Israel's greatest king, with special emphasis on his leadership of national worship. King David knew the power of repentance, and he had and anointed prayer life and spirit of praise and worship. David knew how to get back into God's grace and favor. God promised that David would have an eternal kingly line through his descents Jesus Christ our Lord. He said "I will settle him in my house and in my kingdom for ever: and his throne shall be established for evermore". Which I believe was designed to remind the Jews that despite their punishment for sin, they were still God's special people. When God makes a promise, He keeps it. God's punishment isn't intended to hurt people, but to bring them back unto Himself. Oh Lord God of Israel, There is no God like thee in heaven, nor in the earth. which keepeth covenant and showeth mercy unto thy servants, that walk before thee with all there hearts. (2 Chron. 6:14).David's plan to take a census was not evil in itself. The Lord had them take census often, to count the people. What was wrong with David's census was David's attitude-his pride. He did the census so he could boast and glory in the extent of his reign. ( How many people he had under his leadership) Let the church say Amen!!! That spirit is still in the church today. Joab was concerned because David's arrogant command for a census would bring punishment, not only on him but the innocent citizens as well, David's servants. I too would rather fall into the Lord's merciful hands than men's deceitful, unjust hands. David knew how to repent. He said I Have sinned." To his credit, David blamed no one but himself for the judgement of God that fell on the nation of Israel. He believed that if God would forgive him, the affliction of the nation would also cease. Look at God. He is such a just God, David knew that our Lord is merciful, a God who forgives, He completed trusted in the grace of God rather than any leniency man might offer. God sent an Angel to destroy Jerusalem, but when he saw David's repentance and heard his intercessory prayer for his sheep that he shepherd as the King of Israel. God relented. What a mighty God we serve. Gad had the Prophetic gift as a seer who saw the revelations from God and understood the importance of obeying God by carrying out God's message of destruction to King David. We can't get caught up in pride, we must stay humble. the higher God elevate us the lower we must decrease. That God may get all the Glory, remembering we are only His vessel. We are doing nothing on our own. But by His Anointed Power, Strength, Might, Wisdom, Knowledge, Gifts and understanding. Everything we have comes from God. we can do nothing without him. Lord thank you for your love and kindness and tender mercy toward us.Thank you for being a forgiving God when we fall short and allow the enemy to cause us to stray from Your Word, Your will and Your Way. Help us to not get caught up in pride but to always let the world see You through us,in everything we say and do. In the name of Jesus. Amen "and it is so"  

• Sooooo I wrote something 2ndays ago.. and to go check and didnt go through...lol ..... 

David had faith in the father, he trusted in him dispite of. And they both heard the voice of the lord.. 

David shows us how he had faith and made the choice to be in the fathers hands... 

^^if god is for us who can be against us. Thank you Lord...

• Because David had sinned against God he and those in the land would suffer.  I too have made decisions in life where like David impacted others.  But as I grow in God, I have the ability to see things differently if we confess our sins Grace steps in.  Glory to God... So in this instance we see God gave David the ability to choose.  David recognizing what he had done knew that he would have the mercy of God as opposed to falling into the hands of the enemies who would do with him as they could.  Thank God for mercy and grace when we fall short.

• Yes, Pastor Light, His mercy is sufficient God wants us to know that we have done wrong but yet if we confess he is faithful and just.........

Pastor Light said:

All of Gods promises are answered with Yes.  When we believe in him and have faith he will give unto us. God said his grace and mercy is sufficient.  He will always protect us and give us the desires of our heart whereas man does not have the ability to do so.

• His word may never return to him void. But David still humbled him self unto the Lord knowing his punishment he did not cry, or weep, or run and tell everyone he wanted to cry out to God for his mercy. But I can only imagine what God showed Gad as a seer and how he saw each and everything God promised to David. 

• As I read I was wondering the same thing would I have been able to choose from those three choices, because those was some hard choices to choose from.

• Tina Parks said:

Wow! I feel like David in deep distress these were three hard choices to make.  It's like God was saying to David through this Seer Gad do you hear me now David?  If I had to choice one of these routes such as David I would have picked the 3 days of plague as well.  This story was a no win situation for all the people that suffered because of David.  It almost reminds me of my brother, who murdered two people, we as a family lost two important people in our family.  My mother died on my birthday, and was buried on my brothers birthday who murdered these two people while he was in prison, and we lost my grandmother.  The same as David, I was like my brother's seer.  I told my brother he would get out of this trouble.  I believed God for my brother, and I prayed for the families that lost their love ones as well.  God allowed my brother to repent, and rebuild his life, and family.  But at the end of the day nothing can replace the lost of your mother.  God is good in spite of  what I can see or understand about God's mercy, and grace.  My brother like David still had to pay a price of 7 years before God would hear his prayer and took away this plague, pain from our family.  

• Yes it is a dangerous thing to fall in the hands of a living God, but I think it's worse to fall into the hands of ones enemies, that's why it is best for us when we take the rod of correction through people that God place in our lives to guide and direct us in the right way to go.

• Prophetess Dannetta Moore said:

From the reading, Gad was a seer that was utilized to bring about correction with David.  I see it as a big brother or sister.  They may bring you the word that this is what our parents had to say about what you did last night, but they do not carry out the judgement, just the message.  I understand David's response, do whatever has to be done God, but please don't let me go!"  It is dangerous to be under the wrath of an angry God, but it is far worse to not have him.  Even as a child when I was in trouble.  First, I would be fearful because I knew I had messed up, then humbled at the judgement, and last but not least, I was loved on by my parent.  

It is awesome how God will send us special people to guide us even through the correction process.  What a might God we serve.  

This reply was deleted.