Have you ever played that game where one person has to close her eyes, fold her arms over her chest, and fall backward into the arms of friends or co-workers? It's called the "Trust Fall." If you're the person falling backward, you have to trust that the folks behind you are going to catch you so you don't hit the ground. I thought of that game when reading this passage from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6): Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.... So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. I suspect the reason we tend to worry is that we're just not sure God is going to be there to catch us. We know God is big and strong, but somehow we're just not convinced that He knows our particular address. We think if something happens to us, God may be otherwise occupied with important cosmic events and not notice us. But Jesus is saying here, "Think of who you're talking about: your heavenly Father. He's not just powerful, He has a father's heart — in the very best sense of the term. He not only has the power (beyond measure) but the love, the care, and the concern to take care of what you need." Do we believe that? Jesus also says that when we don't trust God, we act like the pagans — nonbelievers. To them, the idea that God might act on their behalf simply isn't part of the equation. But to us who follow Christ, Jesus says, "Your heavenly Father knows what you need. Trust Him." Our task is to "seek first" (to focus, to live for) God's "kingdom and his righteousness." We're to make the Kingdom our top priority. We do that by investing ourselves in the Kingdom. We decide, by faith, that the Kingdom is where we're going to invest our time, our talent, our treasure. It all belongs to God anyway. Guess what? God already knows whether or not you and I trust Him. But how do we know it? It's easy for us to fool ourselves. We can say we trust God, but too often, we're don't trust Him enough to fold our arms, close our eyes, and fall backward, trusting that He's going to catch us. "But God, I need all of this money. If I give some away, I won't have enough!" Jesus says, "O ye of little faith. You have a heavenly Father who knows what you need. Trust Him." Investing in the Kingdom doesn't tell God where our hearts are. It tells us where our hearts are. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." "In God we trust." We do — don't we?

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lord I will trust you, I will trust the faith I have in you ,for how could I not you have been with me all my life and i love you soooo! much! you never every leave me nor forsake me for you are the Lord thy God of the heavens and the earth. Praise your holy name!

• I know right, but it is this way.

• Terri Yvette Powell said:

Wow! Never thought about this being this way

• Lord I trust you! I will cross my arms and trust you!!

• Yes Lord I Will Trust You But This Time I Will Show You That I Trust You

• I needed to read this on this day. Thank u Lord for the right on time words. I hear u Lord. I trust u daddy. 

• Wow! Never thought about this being this way

• My God I love this message.  Yes I trust you Lord God you are Jehovah Jirah our God our provider.  God you are our daily bread.  You prepare a table before us in the presence of our enemies; My God; My God.   You are Lord of Lords, and King of Kings, You are God, You are ABBA Father; Our Father.  You are Alpha, and Omega did you not say let the poor say I am rich, and let the weak say they are strong.  Yes Lord I believe and trust you and have put your Word in my membrane just as you have said in your Word.  I love you Daddy!  My God; My God.  

• My God, this is in mirror, close up and personal truth.  I believe God for everything and even when people look at my family like we are crazy, God shows up and prepares the table in front of our enemies.  This is not simply why I praise Him the way that I do.  I praise God because He loves me and cares about not only my every need, but even my concerns.  Not only will I will trust in you Lord but I will continually praise your name.

• Christ warns his disciples against hypocrisy and worldly mindedness sins which of all others the professor of religion need most guard against. We are cautioned against hypocrisy, in the giving of alms, in prayer, we are taught what to pray for, how to pray for it, to forgive in prayer, in fastening, against worldly mindedness. In our choice to destroy the sin of hypocrites, in our cares, which is the disquieting sin of many good Christians.

This reply was deleted.