April 19 Anointed for Burial John 12:1-8 Imagine this scene. A woman walks into the annual church rummage sale with a beautiful collection of designer clothes worth thousands of dollars. She says, “I want to give this clothing to the Lord.” Then, as people nod in agreement, she drops the items on the floor and sets fire to them. You would probably think, What a waste! That’s how the disciples reacted when Mary of Bethany anointed Jesus’ feet with an entire bottle of perfume. For almost three years, the disciples had lived on the donations of wealthy women and other generous people. And this particular bottle was worth about a year’s wages for a rural worker. Proceeds from its sale could have supplied the needs of Christ and His followers for weeks. Judas spoke up, criticizing the apparent waste, and the other disciples joined in scolding Mary. But her liberal use of the fragrance wasn’t a mistake. Jesus explained, “When she poured this perfume on My body, she did it to prepare Me forburial” (Matt. 26:12). By using the entire jar at once, Mary released an aroma so overpowering that it filled the whole house (John 12:3). Every breath the guests took reminded them of her extravagant, seemingly imprudent gift. From Mary’s day until now, the call of God has always inspired His followers to act in ways that others don’t understand. In doing so, we release the fragrance of Christ to everyone we encounter (2 Cor. 2:15). What has God called you to do as an expression of your devotion and love for Him?

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AMEN -YES LORD YOU HAVE CALLE ME TO SHOW YOUR LOVE UNTO OTHERS AND TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THE LORD HE IS GOD!!!!!
This reply was deleted.