Mark 5:1-20

New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Restores a Demon-Possessed Man

They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes.[a] When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”

Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.16 Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

18 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. 19 Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 20 So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis[b] how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.

Footnotes:

1. Mark 5:1 Some manuscripts Gadarenes; other manuscripts Gergesenes
  2. Mark 5:20 That is, the Ten Cities

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The name Legion means vast number it takes more praying and fasting cast out demons
  • Amen Valerie, we must be equipped for the battle.
  • There is power in Jesus. Look at the power Jesus did not even have to call the out because they already knew what was about to happen. We have the same power if we chose to use it. 

• The demon or legion recognized who Jesus was he feel to his knees( every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess that Jesus is Lord) 

• The man became a living amp,e of Jesus power. We also be willing to share what Christ has done for us.
  • The demons already knew who he was and also was obedient to him as well. That was amazing in itself. AMEN AMEN!!

• well , Jesus used his wisdom that is why he let the legions of Demons go into the Herds of pigs , because if not the demons could have put up a fight and resist coming out of the man. sooo much Power !

• Awesome!! This guy cannot be controlled or cured, or so the town thought, Then Jesus comes in and saves this man. Sounds like todays society. 

• Jesus just vot out the boat and the demons knew he had arrived on the scene.

• How can anyone not Love Jesus and believe in Him....Even after Jesus did what He did, those people still wanted Jesus to leave their city. 

This reply was deleted.