Prayer of Jabez: What is it?
The Prayer of Jabez comes from the Bible. In 1 Chronicles 4:10, we read:"And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that Thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that Thine hand might be with me, and that Thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested." The prayer is composed of four parts. First, Jabez asks God to bless him. Second, he asks God to enlarge his territory or increase his responsibility. Third, he prays that God will be with him and stay close. Lastly, Jabez asks that God keep him from harm so that he will be free from pain.

Prayer of Jabez: Why is it important?
The Prayer of Jabez reveals that Jabez understands what many people do not -- there is only one God and He should be the center of our work God wants to bless every life. But, we must first make the choice to invite God into our life and ask for His blessings. Jabez wants to succeed and increase his sphere of influence for God. The specific sphere of influence is not important. What is important is that when we want to reach for goals and accomplishments that we have God on our side. Proverbs 16:3 says, "Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." It is critical to understand and practice this in a close relationship with God. Further, it is equally important to stay close to God and rely on His continued support and guidance throughout life. Jabez clearly knows and prays specifically to the One who can protect him from evil and pain -- God. At the end of the verse it is clear that God approved of this faithful prayer by granting it. It is also important to see that Jabez was passionate in his plea to God: "He cried out to the God of Israel." God wants to hear that we need Him through passionate prayer.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In the bible when a child was given a name, it reflected the character or some attribute of the child.  Jabez, was reminded daily that he was sorrowful or a sorrow-maker.  Jabez an honorable man had some urgent request from God. 1.  God's blessings and grace.  2. Expansion of territory not just land but in ever endeavor he desired increase.  3. Asked for guidance and the strength to God to be evident in his daily life and 4. protection from harm.  God granted him his request.  I mentioned the meaning of Jabez name in the beginning because in my opinion it is important.  So many people count themselves out based on where they came from, what they have or don't have and how people feel or judge them. Tricks of the enemy to detour us from walking in to our wealthy place.  God looked passed the name and blessed because of his heart.  So my point is, it doesn't matter what the enemy, your family or whomever else says, it only matters what God says. Take possession of what is yours.   

• I have a copy of this  powerful prayer that was given to me on a bookmark I keep it in my Bible. God wants us to pray to him with everything that is in us , with my face to the floor calling and crying out in praise to him letting him know how much I love and trust him, and he that is in me is greater than he that is in the world.

• God wants our prayers to be personal. He wants us to know that he loves us and he hears us. God in all his might makes everyone of us feel special. God wants us to draw closer unto him, he wants us to trust him and to give him the Glory, knowing that what so ever we ask, that it is done!

• This really works.

• I was in Georgia back in 2007, and I was in a situation I did not know what to do.  This lady walk up to me that I never met in my life, and said do you know the Jabez prayer, and I told her no I have never heard of this this prayer before.  This lady wrote the verse down, and said God said read it everyday, day and night until you fall asleep, and then she disappeared like an angel.  My God My God!   I was in a hopeless situation I had nothing else to lose.  I tried it everyday; day and night, and God answered my prayer like never before.  I trusted God with this same prayer Jabez prayed unto God.  God said he is not a respecter of person.  All I can tell you God heard my prayer just like Jabez.  I am a living witness.  I am going to do it again.  Same God yesterday, today, and forever more.  Praise you dear God do it again Lord.

• The meaning of this scripture to me is that Jabez is asking God to bless him and enlarge his territory. That is, increased and manifold prosperity in his labors, health, wealth and sphere of influence. After looking more into and studying the prayer of it meant more than that. Jabez' request continues that he also be kept from evil, as in the Lord's Prayer, he also wanted to be protected or that God would put a hedge of protection around Jabez from evil influences or consequence. It is in the latter part of the verse where we read this, we too often miss the higher calling... I looked up the Hebrew word 'atsav, which relates to the expression, "might not cause pain", or "might not cause me pain", as often translated, as incomplete. However, Jabez is not just praying for wealth, health and success only, Jabez is also praying for something much more challenging and powerful.... He is also praying for legacy, permanence and fulfillment, the latter part of the Jabez' prayer read accurately would be read as, "May I not be worn down or sorrowed by my toil, but find fulfillment and joy in my work and that my work would endure." When I really grasp this after really reading this from different versions, and research text I am really at awe. I didn't know it meant such till now, and I may have not been the only one. In understanding it's true meaning, most importantly I think that Jabez requested of the Lord in prayer to not be worn down or sorrowed by his toil, but find fulfillment and joy in his work and that his work would endure,"  should something we all pray and seek God for as well. I do. The realization of the true meaning of the Prayer of Jabez.is truly something to ponder for me, as I am now on this quest, as are many others I believe we all should seek and pray to find success, but also seek and pray to find Joy and Fulfillment on the path to it...these are just my thoughts on it.

• Amen and amen. Lord protect me from evil and pain. I know that he is my protecter, my savior, my provider my healer my shield. Lord I invite u in every area in my life. I am nothing without u. Have full controll of everyrhing in my life. In jesus name, and these words shall not fall to the ground but manifest in christ jesus. Amen. 

• Having understanding is the best thing in the world.  Now that I understand the prayer I can break it down and digest it so that it becomes another tool used to thrust me in the work of my Father.  I too have seen many books that have been published in reference to Jabez prayer.  I passed them by because God had not yet revealed the relevance.  There is a time and a season for all things and I as lean in for the more of GOD, He is adding tools of wisdom, knowledge, revelation, and more daily.   

• God will enlarge our territories when we put all our trust in him.

• Wow Vanessa I will be praying the same fit me and my son Jonathan. We have not being seeing eye to eye lately and it can make your heart heavy. God did it for you He will do it for Me. Trusting God to enlarge my territory.
This reply was deleted.