(Prov 31-vs-10-31) Final Reading.

Proverbs 31:10-31

New Living Translation (NLT)

A Wife of Noble Character

10 [a]Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
    She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
    and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.

13 She finds wool and flax
    and busily spins it.
14 She is like a merchant’s ship,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
    and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.

16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
    with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She is energetic and strong,
    a hard worker.
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
    her lamp burns late into the night.

19 Her hands are busy spinning thread,
    her fingers twisting fiber.
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
    and opens her arms to the needy.
21 She has no fear of winter for her household,
    for everyone has warm[b] clothes.

22 She makes her own bedspreads.
    She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
23 Her husband is well known at the city gates,
    where he sits with the other civic leaders.
24 She makes belted linen garments
    and sashes to sell to the merchants.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
    and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
    and she gives instructions with kindness.
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
    and suffers nothing from laziness.

28 Her children stand and bless her.
    Her husband praises her:
29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
    but you surpass them all!”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
    but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
    Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.

Footnotes:

1. 31:10 Verses 10-31 comprise a Hebrew acrostic poem; each verse begins with a successive letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
  2. 31:21 As in Greek and Latin versions; Hebrew reads scarlet.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I greatly surpass them all in the mighty name of Jesus Christ my Lord and savior... I am a virtuous woman.
  • Google search Proverbs 31 explained 

Proverbs 31:10 "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price [is] far above rubies."
    This "virtuous or an excellent woman" is a woman of high morals who is upright in all her ways.
    This is just saying that her worth cannot be measured in earthly things, such as rare stones (rubies). She does exist, but is very hard to find.
    Proverbs 31:11 "The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil."
    This woman is totally faithful to her husband. He can have confidence in her, because she will not let him down. His wife will always be faithful to him in every situation. She will not even give the appearance of evil.
    He does not maintain jealous guard over her or keep his valuables locked up so that she cannot access them as was a common ancient practice in a house of distrust. She demonstrates impeccable loyalty to her husband, and her thrift and industry will add to his wealth.
    Proverbs 31:12 "She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life."
    She is on his side. She is beside him helping in everything. She loves to please him. She respects him and builds him up when he is down. She does not tear him down, but instills confidence in him.
    Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."
    She is industrious and helps him produce for the family. She is not lazy. She works willingly, because she wants to help.
    Excellent women gathered the material for making cloths as we’ll see in verse 19.
    Proverbs 31:14 "She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar."
    We see, here, that she goes forth wherever the food for her house is and brings it home. Excellent women would go far to secure the best food for their families.
    Proverbs 31:15 "She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens."
    She is not a sleepy-head. She gets up early and sees that her family and her maidens are fed. Her first concern is the welfare of her family.
    In order to have the food prepared for the family each day, she had to rise before dawn to begin the work, which she would do gladly.
    Proverbs 31:16 "She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard."
    I believe this is an indication that she is a business woman. She takes on responsibility in buying the land. She works outside the house when she plants the vineyard.
    She was resourceful and entrepreneurial in her investing and reinvesting.
    She doesn't say to the husband that making the money for the family is his job. She helps him in this, too, when she can.
    Proverbs 31:17 "She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms."
    We see, here, that hard work makes her very strong.
    Such women were not soft, but by virtue of rigorous work, strong.
    Proverbs 31:18 "She perceiveth that her merchandise [is] good: her candle goeth not out by night."
    That which she produced for the family of clothing, food and wealth was good and profitable.
    Candle or lamp is to be understood literally. She planted the vineyard during the day and wove late at night. She rose early before dawn to prepare the food, thus keeping a before sunrise to after dark schedule to care for her household, which was the foremost priority of her life.
    She protects what is her own. She appreciates her husband and her family and works to keep them.
    Proverbs 31:19 "She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff."
    We see here, again, that she looks for useful work to do. She is not lazy, as we said before.
    These tools are used to turn wool into thread for making clothing.

In verses 20-24 her activities, driven by the priority of caring for her family, resulted in multiplied fruitfulness for: (1) the poor and needy v.20; (2) her own household v.21; (3) herself v.22; (4) her husband v.23; and (5) the tradesmen v.24.
    Proverbs 31:20 "She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy."
    She is not selfish, but shares with the less fortunate. She is generous in helping the poor and needy. She has a big, giving heart.
    Proverbs 31:21 "She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household [are] clothed with scarlet."
    She has seen to it that her whole family has warm, comfortable garments, even for snowy weather.
    Snow indicates the cold that occurs in the high altitudes of Palestine. Her labors anticipated her family’s need for warm clothing in such cold places and seasons.
    Proverbs 31:22 "She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing [is] silk and purple."
    She looks nice for her family. She takes care of herself, as we read earlier, and dresses nice so her husband will be proud to tell people that she is his wife.
    The efforts she makes to honor others are rewarded to her. These silk and purple garments are expensive evidences of the blessings returned to her by God’s grace.
    Proverbs 31:23 "Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land."
    She builds her husband up, and he has respect in the town. She never does things to make him ashamed.
    This woman made a significant contribution to her husband’s position in the community and to his success. His domestic comfort promoted his advancement in public honor. A man’s good reputation begins with his home and thus the virtue of his wife.
    Proverbs 31:24 "She maketh fine linen, and selleth [it]; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant."
    Here, again, we see her making money away from the home to help her husband. "Fine linen", of course, means righteousness spiritually.
    With all her other responsibilities faithfully discharged, she took time to make items of clothing for the purposes of trade.

The section of verses 25-27 emphasizes her character.
    Proverbs 31:25 "Strength and honour [are] her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come."
    These words describe the character of the woman who fears the Lord. Her inward clothing displays divine wisdom, giving her confidence to face the future with its unexpected challenges.
    This woman is upright in all of her ways, and the Lord will reward her. She will be among those who will hear Him say, "Well done thy good and faithful servant". She is well covered in the spiritual things of righteousness.
    Proverbs 31:26 "She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue [is] the law of kindness."
    Her teaching of wisdom and the law is tempered with mercy.
    Her speech conveys her wisdom and kindness. Her words build up and don't tear down. She is not a gossip or a slanderer. When she speaks, it is to help. Her wisdom instructs her children.
    Proverbs 31:27 "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness."
    We said before, she is industrious; and her first thought is for the well being of the members of her own house.
    She was a skilled manager of the home. The “bread of Idleness” literally means “eyes looking everywhere” as in the lazy man in 6:6 & 9; of who the same root word is used.
    Proverbs 31:28 "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband [also], and he praiseth her."
    Her husband and her children (who know her best) see her unselfishness, love, and care that she has for all of them. They are proud of her. She is a good mother and wife, and they let her know it.
    She is greatly respected because she has earned the praise of her family. There can be no higher joy for a mother than for her children to grow up to praise her as the source of the wisdom that made them godly.
    Proverbs 31:29 "Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all."
    This is saying that many women are faithful to their husbands, but fall short in some of these other areas; but she has done the best of all toward her family and God.
    This was her husbands superlative praise (v.28) which was well deserved, in which he used the same word for “excellent” found in v.10.
    Proverbs 31:30 "Favour [is] deceitful, and beauty [is] vain: [but] a woman [that] feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."
    Here, we see that doing favors’ can be good. To have a wife who is attractive to look at is nice, but the very best you can do is to have a wife who fears God and keeps His commandments; and she will have all of these other things as an extra.
    True holiness and virtue command permanent respect and affection, far more than charm and beauty of face and form.
    She is to be praised, because she has chosen the best: salvation through the Lord. Proverbs end where it began with a reference to the fear of the Lord.
    Proverbs 31:31 "Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates."
    Her works speak for themselves. She has earned her praise. We see in this, the Lord is pleased with her, because she has done His will in her life.
    While she receives material reward (v.22), the praise and success she labored to bring to her family and community will be her praise. The result of all her efforts is her best eulogy

• this is a most respected women of god this is the women god wants us to be in the spirit

• Amen.

• Amen! My take away from these verses is verse 31:30 charm is deceptive, beauty does not last but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
  • Amen

• thank you God for being a great woman thank you God for the word that you placed in us
  • All can say is Amen as women this is instructions on how to be a virtuous women

• Lord help me to be this woman you have designed me to be. Let me be the example unto all young women and young men that they may see how a wife is to be and what type of woman they shall marry. Let me prepare and provide, let me not bring shame to my husband, let me have the right attitude. Love this. Not only for my household but for the ministry God has prepared in my belly and spirit. That I may gain the trust of the people, that I may not bring shame to the body of Christ, that I shall prepare and lead them in the direction of the Holy Spirit and that they shall receive all that belongs to them, that I would set a good example for all who come in contact with me. That when I go from place to place that this scripture will follow me and show on me.

• She is very careful to recommend herself to her husband's esteem and affection, to know his mind, and is willing that he rule over her. She is discreet and obliging; every word she says, shows she herself by the rules of wisdom. She not only takes prudent measures herself, but gives prudent advice to others. The law of love and kindness is written in the heart, and shows itself in the tongue. Her heart is full of another world, even when her hands are most busy about this world. Above all, she fears the Lord.
This reply was deleted.