3. Word of Wisdom

Matthew 21:23-27           Matthew 22:21

John 11:1-17                   Acts 4:8-12,13

Acts 6:8-10                      Acts 15:28

Acts 16:6,7

G. Conclusion

Colossians 2:2,3

I Corinthians 14:1

When speaking of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, scripture uses three different words. The definitions of these words inform us that there are three categories of spiritual gifts: motivational gifts (often called grace gifts), ministry gifts, and manifestations.

MOTIVATIONAL/GRACE GIFTS

I Corinthians 12:4  "Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit."

Romans 12:6 "And since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let each exercise them accordingly..."

The word used for gifts here is the Greek word charisma which means a divine gratuity, a spiritual endowment, qualification or faculty, a free gift. It comes from a root word that means grace, benefit, favor, gift, and pleasure - words that include gratitude, and joy.

Grace gifts are given when a person is born again and are a means of motivating the believer to express God's love. The person does nothing to choose it, receive it, or to deserve it. It is a gift freely given by God, out of love and "grace" for the individual.

A listing of motivational/grace gifts is found in Romans 12. They are prophecy, service, teaching, exhortation, leading, giving, mercy.

Other scriptures where the Greek word charisma is translated gift are:

I Peter 4:10  "As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."(Notice here that the word gift is singular - that is, a person is given only one motivational/grace gift.       

II Timothy 1:6  "And for this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands." 

I Timothy 4:14 "Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed upon you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery."

I Corinthians 7:7  "...Each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that."  

I Corinthians 12:31  "But earnestly desire the greater gifts."

MINISTRY GIFTS

I Corinthians 4:5 "And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord."

The word ministries here (translated administrations in the King James) is the Greek word diakonia which means aid, service, minister, office. It is from this word that the word deacon comes from.

In other scriptures, the Greek word doma and its root, didomi are also translated gift(s). Doma means gift, present. Didomi means ministry,adventure, bring forth, commit, deliver, grant, have power, receive, suffer, take, utter, yield.

The word itself, can be found in two places:

Ephesians 4:8 ..."He gave gifts to men..."

Philippians 4:17 "Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account."

Most scholars believe that a listing of these ministry gifts are found in the following two passages:

Ephesians 4:11,12 "...and He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ."

I Corinthians 12:28 "And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues."

These gifts are to be used for the benefit of the church, as a means of ministry. They provide the opportunity for individual Christians to serve the church effectively and lovingly. 

MANIFESTATION GIFTS

I Corinthians 12:6,7  "And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given themanifestation of the Spirit for the common good."

Often called gifts of evidences, these gifts are for the receiver. There are two Greek words here: energema (which means operations, working, an effect), and phanerosis (which means manifestation, exhibition, expression, a bestowment, to make apparent publicly, externally, abroad, to manifest openly and outwardly).

In other words, these gifts are the ways in which God chooses to manifest Himself at any given point in time in a particular person, for the common good.

"For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit." I Corinthians 12:8

Other manifestation gifts are faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, distinguishing of spirits, tongues, interpretation of tongues. (I Corinthians 12:9,10)

I give this background to make the point that the gifts of Word of Knowledge and Word of Wisdom are both gifts designed to provide an outward show or manifestation of the Holy Spirit in action. They are not gifts that are to be hidden and kept for private use. They are not ministries per sae but are gifts needed no matter what the ministry or motivational gift.    

As manifestation gifts, Word of Knowledge and Word of Wisdom are a result of the gift of the Holy Spirit within the life of a believer. They are not gifts that can be "worked up." Neither can you learn them. They come as you exercise the Mind of Christ, learning to hear God speak, recognize His voice, and step out in faith based on what you hear. They do not come at your bidding. They come only as God sovereignly chooses to manifest Himself through Word of Knowledge or Word of Wisdom.

As manifestations they may happen to any believer, and, in fact, will as the believer grows in the Lord.

The purpose of all Manifestation gifts are:

1. To reveal Jesus to the unbeliever.

2. To reveal truth to the believer for personal needs.

3. To reveal truth for ministry.

GENERAL DEFINITIONS

Word of Knowledge is the supernatural revelation of information that comes directly from God to a person rather than from personal study. In a very real sense, it is the Mind of Christ working within the believer to impart information needed in and for a given situation that could not have come any way but divinely. It usually comes in a split second and is often given for protection, guidance, or prayer.

Word of Wisdom is supernatural revelation of what to do with knowledge that has been acquired either through natural or supernatural means. It is proper judgment for action, the ability to not only see life from God's perspective but to live life with His point of view in mind.

Some people teach a little different definition and they also list the gift of revelation. However, the above definitions are the common explanations that have been used for 30 + years. Revelation is usually defined as a category of gifts under which Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, and Discerning of Spirits fall. It is a category just as Gifts of Power is a category under which there are gifts of Faith, Miracles, and Healing.

Please notice that I am not calling these gifts The Gift of Knowledge or A Gift of Wisdom. Some translations put an article in front so the text will read more smoothly. However, it is not there in the Greek and putting a The or an A in front subtly affects the meaning. The use of an article subtly gives the impression that the "Word" being received is all there is when in reality, Words of Knowledge or Words of Wisdom are only small pieces of God's knowledge and wisdom.

Neither gift need necessarily be spoken aloud. In fact, when a believer receives either gift, he/she should seek discernment as to if and when the information is to be spoken. The exception would be when you hear a truth falling from your lips that you did not know until you heard it come out of your mouth.

WORD OF KNOWLEDGE

Word of Knowledge is to have a revelation or understanding of something that God knows either about Himself or others - past, present, or future. It is an insight into a divine truth that applies to a particular practical life situation. It is knowledge of life from God's perspective.

Word of Knowledge is given to help a person understand God's Word and/or to understand why certain things are the way they are. That is, Word of Knowledge is not limited to revelation of or about the Bible. It may be about an individual person or situation.

There are four kinds of Knowledge.

1. Natural human knowledge.

"But as for you, Daniel, conceal these words     and seal up the book until the end of time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase." Daniel 12:4

This kind of knowledge often leads to pride.           

"Knowledge makes arrogant, but love edifies." I Corinthians 8:1

Worldly knowledge does not understand faith in Jesus.

"For the word of the cross is to those who are      perishing foolishness, but to us who are being      saved it is the power of God. I Corinthians 1:18            

2. Supernatural knowledge gained by means other than through the Holy Spirit. Any knowledge that comes from outside the boundaries given by scripture is the fallen knowledge of this world, knowledge from Satan. Supernatural anything is not necessarily good or for from God. We don't want to have anything to do with such knowledge for three reasons. 

a. It is expressly forbidden in scripture.

Leviticus 20:6     Deuteronomy 18:10-12

I Samuel 15:23     II Chronicles 33:6

Isaiah 8:19            Jeremiah 27:9,10

Micah 5:12             Malachi 3:5

Acts 13:9,10           Acts 16:16-19

Acts 19:18,19          Galatians 5:19-20

Revelation 9:20,21 Revelation 18:2

Revelation 21:8.

b. It will not be truth. It may (and probably will) contain just enough truth to deceive us, but it will also contain enough error to cause problems.

c. It will not bring us closer to Jesus.

3. Knowledge that comes from a personal relationship with God through Jesus, through the filling of the Holy Spirit, through the study of the Bible, and from the fear of the Lord."

"That I may know Him..." Philippians 3:10.

"Now therefore, I pray Thee, if I have found favor in Thy sight, let me know Thy ways that I may know Thee so that I may find favor in Thy sight." Exodus 33:13

"Thy word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." Psalm 119:105

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words shall not pass away." Matthew 24:35

"The Word of the Lord abides forever." I Peter 1:25

"Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." II Timothy 2:15

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." Proverbs 1:7

4. The gift of Word of Knowledge. This gift is truly a gift, not a human ability that can be developed as satanic manifestations can. It comes simply as a result of being in the presence of the Lord and staying there. It is a gift that comes directly from God to the believer.

"Do not be deceived, by beloved brethren. Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow. James 1:16,17 

As Dennis and Rita Bennett state in their book, "The Holy Spirit And You"; The gifts of the Holy Spirit come from and through the Holy Spirit to our spirit, and not from or through the soul or physical senses. p. 159 

WORD OF WISDOM

Word of Wisdom is a revelation from God about a matter that gives insight into practical steps of action. The ability to view life from God's perspective means the ability to use facts and knowledge as a means for reaching conclusions that are correct.  

Word of Wisdom usually comes along with Word of Knowledge. If it doesn't, we should ask God for it and wait until He gives it. After all, we don't just want to know more truth, we want to know what to do with it once we've gotten it!

We need the what but also need the how and the when. Any time God gives information to a person, that person will find him/herself in hot water from time to time until he/she learns to ask God if the information is to be shared, how it is to be shared, when it is to be shared, and to whom it is to be shared.     

"Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. And it was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running , or had run, in vain." Galatians 2:1,2

Many people assume that they are free to share any piece of information God gives them with anybody. Not so. Sometimes God gives information only for the purpose of prayer. Even when the prayer is answered, we need to still ask God for wisdom whether we can even sharethat we prayed for the person or situation, much less how we prayed.    

Word of Wisdom is very critical when it comes to God's secrets. When we mishandle God's secrets (information and insight He gives us only for the purpose of prayer) He is likely to not share secrets with us anymore. Trustworthiness is necessary for a ministry of intercession.

Just as with Word of Knowledge, there are four kinds of Wisdom:

1. Natural human wisdom. This would be the application of any of the four kinds of knowledge in a purely human, logical, or secular way. Just after scripture tells us that knowledge from God concerning the cross is foolishness, it says:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the            cleverness of the clever I will set aside."             I Corinthians 1:19

This is the kind of wisdom that says, "God gave you a brain, He expects you to use it." No! God gave you a brain and He wants you to give Him your brain, your intellect as well as every other part of your natural body. Only by so doing can you fully and completely operate by the Mind of Christ! This kind of wisdom is often called soul-power.

2. Supernatural wisdom gained by means other than from theLord. A good example of this is in the Garden of Eden. The serpent tempted Eve with wisdom if she'd eat. She got it and discovered that she didn't want that kind of wisdom. Genesis 3:4-6

"Wisdom" gained by any of the practices of the occult such as automatic writing, telepathy, astrology, etc. are examples of this kind of wisdom. 

3. Intellectual wisdom acquired as a result of applying the wisdom of the Bible. Scripture is not only full of this kind of wisdom but it tells us how to get it.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Psalm 111:10

"Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom;   and to depart from evil is understanding." Job 28:28

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.." Proverbs 9:10

"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him."James 1:5

"Acquire wisdom!" Proverbs 4:5

"The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; and with all your acquiring, get understanding." Proverbs 4:7

"How much better it is to get wisdom than gold!" Proverbs 16:16

"Get wisdom and instruction and understanding." Proverbs 23:23

This kind of wisdom can be obtained only through the cross of Jesus because the cross is both the power and the wisdom of God.

"We preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block, and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. I Corinthians 1:23-25 

4. Word of Wisdom. This is the gift of the Holy Spirit given in a miraculous and often instantaneous way at a particular point in time for a particular purpose.           

PURPOSE

"But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.I Corinthians 12:7

"We have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of Godstrengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience, joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light." Colossians 1:9-12

"When they deliver you up, do not become anxious about how or what you will speak; for it shall be given you in that hour what you are to speak. For it is not you who speak, but it is the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you." Matthew 10:19,20

EXAMPLES

Word of Knowledge revealed to Samuel that God would send Saul the next day for him to anoint as king. I Samuel 9:15,16 He also knew that the donkeys Saul had been looking for for three days had been found. vs. 20

By Word of Knowledge, God revealed to Samuel that Saul was hiding himself by the baggage in I Samuel 10:20-23.

Gehazi's greed was known to Elisha by Word of Knowledge when he asked Naaman for what Elisha had turned down. II Kings 5:15-27

Word of Knowledge let the king of Israel know where the Syrians were camping, making the Syrian king very angry because it kept him from fighting the Israelites. II Kings 6:8-14 A fun verse that describes very well this particular gift of the Spirit is vs. 12 when a servant of the Syrian king says,

"Elisha, the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king      of Israel the words that you speak in your bedroom!" 

The whole story of Daniel telling the king his dreams was an exercise of Word of Knowledge.

"Then the king gave orders to call in the magicians, the conjurers, the sorcerers and the Chaldeans, to tell the king his dreams. So they came in and stood before the king. The Chaldeans answered the king and said, "There is not a man on earth who could declare the matter for the king, inasmuch as no great king or ruler has ever          asked anything like this of any magician, conjurer or Chaldean. Moreover, the thing which the king demands is difficult, and there is no one else who could declare it to the king except gods, whose dwelling place is not with mortal flesh." Daniel answered before the king and said, "As for the mystery about which the king has inquired, neither wise men, conjurers, magicians, nor diviners are able to declare it to the king However, there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will take place in the latter days. This was your dream and the visions in your mind while on you bed." Daniel 2:2,10,11,27,28

Jesus exercised Word of Knowledge in John 1:48 when He"saw" Philip under the fig tree before He saw him with His natural eyes.

By Word of Knowledge, Jesus knew that a colt was tied with its mother and where it was. Mark 11:1-6 Matthew 21:1-7

Jesus knew when His hour had come that He should depart out of this world to the Father by way of Word of Knowledge. John 13:1

He also knew (by Knowledge) who would betray Him and when he would do it. John 13:21-27

He knew when the ruler of the world, using people available to him, were coming after Him to put Him to death. John 14:30

In Word of Knowledge, God told Ananias to get up, what street he was to go to, whose house he was to knock at, who he was to ask for, what Saul was doing, that Saul was expecting him, and what he, Ananias was to do with Saul. Acts 9:10-16

Peter exercised Word of Knowledge about the deceit and lie of Ananias and Sapphira concerning the selling of their property. Acts 5:1-11

It was by Word of Knowledge that the prophet Nathan knew all about the affair David had with Bathsheba. II Samuel 12:1-15 Word of Wisdom revealed to Nathan howwhen and where to confront David about the matter.

In the midst of a prophecy, God gave Jahaziel Word of Knowledge as to where the Moabites and Ammonites would be:

"They will come up by the ascent of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the valley in front of the wilderness of Jeruel." II Chronicles 20:16

Then, through Word of Wisdom, he told Jehoshaphat what to do about it:

"You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the Lord is with you." II Chronicles 20:17

Using a vision, God gave Peter Word of Knowledge when he was fasting and praying in Simon the Tanner's house that three men were at the door asking for him. Word of Wisdom told him what to do about it. Acts 10:19,20

Paul received Word of Knowledge that he could not have gotten anywhere but from God, that the ship he was on would be wrecked, that there would be no loss of life, that they would run aground on a certain island, and that the sailors were trying to escape from the ship. He received Word of Wisdom as to what to do with this Knowledge. He was to tell the crew they would not die but to take courage, only the ship would be lost. He was to tell the centurion and the soldiers about the crew's plan to escape, and to tell them all to eat some food, then to do so in front of them. Acts 27:21-38

Jesus often used Word of Wisdom when answering the trick questions of the Pharisees and Sadducees. A good example of this is in Matthew 21:23-27 when they asked Him by what authority He was doing what He was doing. In wisdom (and perhaps a bit of humor) He told them He'd answer their question only if they told Him from what source the baptism of John was.

Another good example is when He was asked about the paying of taxes and He gave the now famous quote:

"Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's." Matthew 22:21

Jesus knew that Lazarus had died but exercised Word of Wisdom when He waited to go to Bethany. John 11:1-17

Peter received Wisdom as to how to reply to the Council of the Jews after he'd healed the man by faith in the name of Jesus, beside the Beautiful Gate. Acts 4:8-12 The result of yielding to the Word of Wisdom given him, was that the Council "observed the confidence of Peter and John, and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were marveling, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus." vs. 13

Men from the Synagogue of the Freedmen were unable to cope with the wisdom and the Spirit with which he (Stephen) was speaking. Acts 6:8-10

Led by Word of Wisdom, the church leaders in Jerusalem decided not to lay upon Gentile believers none of the rules and regulations of the Mosaic Law except to abstain from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from fornication. Acts 15:28

The Holy Spirit forbade Paul and Timothy to speak the word in Asia and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them to enter Bithynia in Acts 16:6,7. This shows two ways Word of Wisdom is given - by the Holy Spirit and by the Spirit of Jesus. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The well of Knowledge and Wisdom are as endless as the Lord Jesus Himself. So our hearts may be encouraged that we may attain to "all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God's mystery, that is, Christ Himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:2,3

So therefore,

Desire earnestly spiritual gifts

I Corinthians 14:1                  

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you God for confirmation! Being excited about the word God gives me in prayer I would often run and tell! Thank God for grace! Not all was to be share, but out of my ignorance I believe God will continue to share His secrets. Timing is everything! Thank God for His Word of knowledge and Word of wisdom even just now. lol Thank you Apostle for sharing this!!!  

• My god i am so moved about all of this. I may tolden me three days but its worth it i got some great wisdom and knowledge on this week i know i eat my poptart every morning
  • Wow these examples of and scriptures of word of wisdom and word of knowledge are great tools to have as I press toward spiritual growth.
  • This was a very good read.

That Words of Knowledge is what is happening now and Words of Wisdom is in the future. This was very informative.

Apostle Teyshana, actually broke it down so I can understand.

In 1Kings 13 anytime God tells me something he always leads me back to these particular scriptures. He gives it to me to make sure I stay in obedience of what he is telling.

This actually one of my favorite reads in the Bible.

• Wonderful information, this is an intensive study that will follow me a long way, this is really great for every area of the 5 fold ministry and in whatever area God has called us in.

• This is an awesome list of scripture listing and explaining the gifts of the Holy Spirit. This list itself is a wealth of wisdom and knowledge. I will be reading and meditating on this all week long.

• This is so awesome to break down the gifts so I  Iearned a lot, I didn't know all of this, this needs to be taught, leaders in the church need to be taught so everyone will know how to flow with their gifts and not confusion, church lacks understanding in some things

• Do not neglect the spiritual gifts that God has blessed you with. The gifts are for the edifying of the church.

• Great source of scriptures for equipping of the saints.

• WISDOM AND KNOWLEDGE.....................................WOW,WOW,WOW

This reply was deleted.