Word Studies Lets start with the word God: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Old Testament: For those who like to use statistics here we go: The word God (KJV) appears in 2721 verses of the Old Testament. The word has been printed in three formats, GOD - God - god. There is also the words godly - gods - goddness but we will not include them in our study. The word GOD is used in 299 verses Used 294 times as Strongs# 3069Used 4 verses as Strongs# 3068Used 1 verse as Strongs# 430 The word God is used in 2375 verses Used 2045 verses as Strongs# 430Used 172 verses as Strongs# 410Used 66 verses as Strongs# 426Used 52 verses as Strongs# 433Used in 1 verse as Strongs#136 The word god is used 47 times Used 26 times as Strongs# 430Used 12 times as Strongs# 410Used 5 times as Strongs# 433Used 2 times as Strongs# 426 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There are forty verses that have either inserted the word God or have different Strong's# mentioned above and will not be included in this study The Strong's #'s are: 46 - 2421 - 2486 - 3863 - & 4310 The following verses(KJV) have the word "God" in the verse but not from any known Hebrew word. The word God was inserted to give meaning. Judg 9:29 -1Sa 2:32 10:24 -2Sa 16:16 -1Ki 1:34,39 -2Ki 11:12 -2Chr 23:11 -Ne 6:9 -Job 20:23 21:17 27:22- Pr 21:12 26:10 -Ec 2:26 -Isa 26:1 43:12 -Ho 1:6,9 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The names of God in the Old Testament. If we look up "GOD" in the concordance we find that the word "God" has been taken from many words in the Hebrew language and we have translated them into one word. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- For instance the first time the word God is mentioned in the Bible is when God created the heavens and earth. The word given to us by Hebrews, from instruction by the Holy Spirit, was Elohiym, This is Strong's Concordance #430, below is BD./Thayers definition for this word. BD./Thayers # 430 Elohiym {el-o-heem'} plural of 0433; TWOT - 93c; n m p AV - God 2346, god 244, judge 5, GOD 1, goddess 2, great 2, mighty 2, angels 1, exceeding 1, God-ward + 04136 1, godly 1; 2606 1) (plural) 1a) rulers, judges 1b) divine ones 1c) angels 1d) gods 2) (plural intensive - singular meaning) 2a) god, goddess 2b) godlike one 2c) works or special possessions of God 2d) the (true) God 2e) God The above word tells us that God is more than one person. This word will always be used when talking about the Godhead-"Father,Son & Holy Spirit". You will notice that in the Genesis 1:1 "God"(or Elohiym) created the heavens and the earth. A good cross reference to this would be John 1:1-3. Notice how the Bible is constant even when written thousands of years apart. This word (Elohiym) is in 2249 verses in the Old Testament: But not at all times as "God"(see definition above God 2346 times, god 244 times, GOD 1 time) This word is used most in the Psalms 325 times Deuteronomy next with a usage of 312 times -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The word given to us by Hebrews, from instruction by the Holy Spirit, was Y@hovih, This is Strong's Concordance #430, below is BD./Thayers definition for this word. BD./Thayers # 3069 Y@hovih {yeh-ho-vee'} a variation of 03068 [used after 0136, and pronounced by Jews as 0430, in order to prevent the repetition of the same sound, since they elsewhere pronounce 03068 as 0136];; n pr dei AV - GOD 304, LORD 1; 305 1) Jehovah - used primarily in the combination 'Lord Jehovah' 1a) equal to 03068 but pointed with the vowels of 0430 This word is used most in the Exek 210 times Isaiah next with a usage of 25 timesAmos next with a usage of 20 times -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The next Hebrew word for God is Jehovah Strong's # 3068 below is the BDB/Thayers definition: BDB/Thayers # 3068 Y@hovah {yeh-ho-vaw'} from 01961; TWOT - 484a; n pr dei AV - LORD 6510, GOD 4, JEHOVAH 4, variant 1; 6519 Jehovah = "the existing One" 1) the proper name of the one true God 1a) unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of 0136 From the Easton's Dictionary we find this definition Easton's Dict. [jehovah] # 2017 Jehovah the special and significant name (not merely an appellative title such as Lord [adonai]) by which God revealed himself to the ancient Hebrews Ex 6:2,3 This name, the Tetragrammaton of the Greeks, was held by the later Jews to be so sacred that it was never pronounced except by the high priest on the great Day of Atonement, when he entered into the most holy place. Whenever this name occurred in the sacred books they pronounced it, as they still do, "Adonai" (i.e., Lord), thus using another word in its stead. The Massorets gave to it the vowel-points appropriate to this word. This Jewish practice was founded on a false interpretation of Le 24:16 The meaning of the word appears from Ex 3:14 to be "the unchanging, eternal, self-existent God," the "I am that I am," a covenant-keeping God. (Comp.) Mal 3:6 Ho 12:5 Re 1:4,8 The Hebrew name "Jehovah" is generally translated in the Authorized Version (and the Revised Version has not departed from this rule) by the word LORD printed in small capitals, to distinguish it from the rendering of the Hebrew _Adonai_ and the Greek _Kurios_, which are also rendered Lord, but printed in the usual type. The Hebrew word is translated "Jehovah" only in Ex 6:3 Ps 83:18 Isa 12:2 26:4 and in the compound names mentioned below. It is worthy of notice that this name is never used in the LXX., the Samaritan Pentateuch, the Apocrypha, or in the New Testament. It is found, however, on the "Moabite stone" (q.v.), and consequently it must have been in the days of Mesba so commonly pronounced by the Hebrews as to be familiar to their heathen neighbours. This word is used (in the KJV) 5521 times in the Old Testament: This word is used most in the Psalms 624 times Jerimiah used this word 612 times Deuteronomy next with a usage of 438 times Please notice that these two words are used together as "Jehovah Elohiym" in the same scripture 1149 times through out the Old Testament. Here are the names of God using Jehovah from "OT outlines" by John Phillips: Outlines OT [god] # 90 THE NAMES OF GOD #SONG OF SOLOMON SONG 1:3 In the Old Testament God revealed Himself by means of the various names by which He called Himself. Three primary names for God appear in the Old Testament--Elohim (El, Elah), Jehovah, and Adonai ( #Gen 1:1 2:4 15:2 ). Together with these primary names are numerous compound names, as when tributary thoughts are brought into conjunction with the main Elohim or Jehovah streams. Consider, for instance, the wonderful compound names for God in His character as Jehovah, the covenant-keeping God. 1. JEHOVAH-JIREH ( #Gen 22:14 ) "The Lord who provides" 2. JEHOVAH-SHALOM ( #Judg 6:24 ) "The Lord who gives peace" 3. JEHOVAH-ROPHEKA ( #Ex 15:26 ) "The Lord who heals" 4. JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU ( #Jer 23:6 33:16 ) "The Lord our righteousness" 5. JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH ( #Ezek 48:35 ) "The Lord who is there" 6. JEHOVAH-NISSI ( #Ex 17:15 ) "The Lord our banner" 7. JEHOVAH-MEKADDISHKEM ( #Ex 31:13 ) "The Lord who sanctifies" NOTE: All these Jehovah titles are hidden in Psalm 23. It is a most instructive and heartwarming way to expound this psalm--just go through and illustrate each of these names of Jehovah in the words of David. Psalms 23 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The next Hebrew word for God is "EL" BDB/Thayers # 410 'el {ale} shortened from 0352; TWOT - 93a; n m AV - God 213, god 16, power 4, mighty 5, goodly 1, great 1, idols 1, Immanuel + 06005 2, might 1, strong 1; 245 1) god, god-like one, mighty one 1a) mighty men, men of rank, mighty heroes 1b) angels 1c) god, false god, (demons, imaginations) 1d) God, the one true God, Jehovah 2) mighty things in nature 3) strength, power Notice that the Holy Spirit talked about EL in his prophecy of Jesus who would actually become one of us,live with us,and be God like when he does. Isai 7:14 (KJS) Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. {shall call: or, thou, O virgin, shalt call} Isai 8:8 (KJS) And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach [even] to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel. {stretching...: Heb. fulness of the breadth of thy land shall be the stretchings out of his wings} The Following commentary for EL is from the Holman Dictionary: God of the Fathers Before Moses’ encounter with God in the Midianite desert, God was known generally as the God of the Fathers. Various names were used for God under this conception, most of which were associated with the primitive Semitic word El. El is a generic term for God or deity. It appears in ancient languages other than Hebrew. One can see the similarities to the modern Arabic word for God, Al or Allah. The word El refers to an awesome power that instills within humankind a mysterious dread or reverence. Even though El was a term for God in pagan or polytheistic religions, it is not a designation for an impersonal force like one would find in animism. Pagans worshipped El as a high and lofty God. He was the chief God in the Canaanite pantheon. See Canaan. The word El in the Bible is often a reference to deity as opposed to the particular historical revelation associated with the name “Yahweh” (see Yahweh Titles ). More often than not, however, it is used interchangeably as a synonym for Yahweh, the God of Israel, and translated God. One of the most interesting uses of El is its alliance with other terms to reveal the character of God. Some of these combinations are: El-Shaddai “God of the Mountains” or “The Almighty God.” This term is more closely associated with the patriarchal period and can be found most frequently in the Books of Genesis and Job. Exodus 6:3 underlines El-Shaddai as the name revealed to the patriarchs. God used it to make His Covenant with Abraham (Gen. 17:1-2). El-Elyon “The Most High God” or “The Exalted One” (Num. 24:16; 2 Sam. 22:14; Ps. 18:13). Melchizadek was a priest of El-Elyon and blessed Abraham in this name (Gen. 14:19-20), referring to El-Elyon as “Maker of heaven and earth.” Canaanites at Ugarit also worshiped god as El-Elyon. El-Elyon seems to have had close ties to Jerusalem. El-Olam “God of Eternity” or “God the Everlasting One” (Gen. 21:33; Isa. 26:4; Ps. 90:2). God’s sovereignty extends through the passing of time and beyond our ability to see or understand. El-Berith “God of the Covenant” (Judg. 9:46) transforms the Canaanite Baal Berith (8:33) to show God alone makes and keeps covenant. El-Roi “God who Sees me” or “God of Vision” (Gen. 16:13). God sees needs of His people and responds. Elohim A plural form for deity. It is a frequently used term and the most comprehensive of the El combinations. The plurality of this word is not a hint of polytheism. It is a plural of majesty. It is a revelation of the infinite nature of God. In the creation narrative, we read: “Then Elohim Said, ‘Let Us Make Man In Our Image.’ “ (Gen. 1:26) This name suggests that there is a mystery to the Creator-God which humankind cannot fully fathom. God is absolute, infinite Lord over creation and history. The Christian sees in this term a pointer to the trinitarian reality of creation. Other Uses The name El is frequently combined with other nouns or adjectives. Some examples are: Israe-El (One Who Is Ruled By God), Beth-El (House of God), Peni-el (Face of God). In the crucifixion narrative (Mark 15:34), Jesus employed a form of El when he cried from the cross, “Eloi, Eloi,” “my God, my God,” quoting Psalm 22. This word is the power and strength of God. It shows us of his greatness and how all-mighty he his. It also shows us how personnel he is. Some names you may of heard of before: Gene 17:1 (KJS) And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I [am] the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. {perfect: or, upright, or, sincere} Or translated "El Shaddai" This word is used (in the KJV) 235 times in the Old Testament: This word is used most in the Psalms 73 timesJob used this word 55 timesIsaih used this word 24 times -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The next word we find in the Old Testament for God is the Strong's #426 which is a translation from an Aramaic word mainly used in Ezra & Daniel. Notice the similarity between this word and the one above Strong's #410. BDB/Thayers # 426 0426 'elahh (Aramaic) {el-aw'} corresponding to 0433; TWOT - 2576; n m AV - God 79, god 16; 951) god, God 1a) god, heathen deity 1b) God (of Israel) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope in some way I have helped you to better understand how to do a word study and also give a better understanding of the word GOD. If there is any other word studies you would like to see INBOX ME! The next word we find is Strong's #136 Adonay BDB/Thayers # 136 - 0136 'Adonay {ad-o-noy'} am emphatic form of 0113; TWOT - 27b; n m AV - Lord 431, lord 2, God 1; 434 1) my lord, lord 1a) of men 1b) of God 2) Lord - title, spoken in place of Yahweh in Jewish display of reverence Used only one time as God : Haba 3:19 (KJS) The LORD God [is] my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' [feet], and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope in some way I have give you a better understanding of how to do a word study.If there is any other word studies you would like to see please let me know. If you have a word study that you have done and would like to share it me please INBOX ME BE BLESS AGAPE-I CHOOSE 2 BE BLESS!!!!

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –