Week Ten(DQ)..

Why did Jesus tell the Disciples to follow me, and I will make you fishermen of men?

What do it mean to be a disciple?

Why do you think Jesus told the disciples to leave everything behind?

Do you think you could leave everything behind to follow Jesus?

Why do you think the body of Christ do not walk in true demonstrations, as the Disciples did in the biblical times?

(Math 4-vs-19)

19 And He said to them, Come after Me [as disciples—letting Me be your Guide], follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men!

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Jesus tells the Disciples to follow me, and I will make you fishermen of men because He wanted to test the men character. If you’re a disciple, it means that you’re able to follow. You’re able to serve and serve with great character without looking for anything in return. He wanted the disciples to leave everything behind because God would supply all their needs. Let’s be honest, these men had a “mobile” ministry. When you’re doing the work of God, you can’t be attached to “things”. Yes. I’m currently living in a lonely place. I’ve come to realize if you don’t leave it behind and follow Jesus, it can all be taken away. If God wants you badly enough to follow Him, He’ll close every door in your life to make that happen. I believe people do not walk in true demonstration because of “fear of the unknown”. It takes pure, crazy, radical, unadulterated FAITH to walk into the unknown like the disciples in biblical time. A lot of people claim they have this type of faith but many do not.

• He said to follow him because he knew what it took and also see if the could follow instructions. Disciple means leader.he said leave everything behind because he didnt want the to have any destruction. It may be hard at first but i think i can make it through it. Because a lot of churches dont want to learn they want to do things their way because its easier. But you must be a learner and know how to follow instructions.
  • Jesus told them to follow him ans he'd make them Fisher of men, because too be a Fisher of men is too cause some one to become so interested in what they were teaching and the things they were seeing that they would become hooked on Jesus like a fish on a hook.. Jesus needed the disciples to leave the worldly cares behind to focus on the bigger picture which was eternal life.. he needed to know where their hearts were, if they loved people or things more then they loved God the Father. We cannot live or demonstrate what we don't know and or have not learned.
  • Pastor Craig

Great feedback, I was blessed by your reply.

CRAIG POWELL said:

Pastor Craig
    The reason why Jesus told the disciples to follow him is because who knew who they were before they knew who they would become. Also, he was given disciples understanding of how to be fishers of men. He was example to their blind ways light to their dark world.
  • Prophetess Kira Hatcher

I enjoyed reading your excellent reply, I was blessed.

Prophetess Kira Hatcher said:

A Disciple is one who loves God more than anyone else, forsaking all that they have, and would take up the cross.  Jesus wanted to see if they would pass the test....he wanted them to follow him so that they could go and become fishermen of men, meaning the lost..........to tell them about his goodness and mercy....

Today people have become so materialistic that they would not be true disciples....however after all he's done for me, I would gladly follow him....

• Why did Jesus tell the Disciples to follow me, and I will make you fishermen of men?
    Jesus said in Matthew 4:19, “Come, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” The invitation was to follow Him, know Him intimately and learn from Him first-hand, then to go out and follow His example as they related to and trained others. Ultimately, this is the same invitation we have today.

The word "disciple" literally means A LEARNER According to Vine's Expository Dictionary Of New Testament Words, it denotes "one who follows another's teaching", But a disciple was not only a learner, he was also AN ADHERENT. For this reason disciples were spoken of as IMITATORS of their teachers.

Why do you think Jesus told the disciples to leave everything behind? If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brothers, and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

Do you think you could leave everything behind to follow Jesus? I would absolutely leave everything.
    Why do you think the body of Christ do not walk in true demonstrations, as the Disciples did in the biblical times?  unbelief…

• Jesus told them to leave everything and to follow him.  Jesus really wanted to know if they were with him or not.  It was to test them to see if they were really going to give up everything and follow him.  A Disciple is someone who is willing to be fishermen of lost souls and to bring others to Jesus Christ.  They have to be first of all teachable.  Then, they have to have total Faith and Trust in God.  Lastly, they have to be able to follow Jesus and his directions.  In order to follow Jesus, you must leave everything behind.  You have to trust God to supply all of your needs.  If you cannot leave everything behind and follow God, then you need to really do as Psalms 139: 23 KJV: Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:.  You need God to search your heart and to get to the bottom of why you refuse to leave everything, why you cannot follow God and how to get over this and become the Disciple you were destined to be.  Honestly, I can leave everything and follow God.  I have never been a materialist person.  I have always lived a simple life.  Leaving everything to follow Jesus is something we must do.  

In Saint Matthew 16: 

24Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25For whoever wants to save their lifef will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. 28“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” (New International Version).

You have to take up your cross, deny yourself and leave everything else behind in order to follow Jesus and to not have any distractions.  The Body of Christ does not walk in true demonstrations as the Disciples did in Biblical times due to walking in Flesh.  They know that if the Body of Christ knew this, they would not have any power or authority over them.  They want to keep them blind and ignorant instead of teaching them that God will do what he said he would do if we deny ourselves,take up our cross and follow him.  We owe it to our fellow Believers of Christ to show them how to walk in true demonstrations such as healing, casting out demons and how to walk in our authority.  We have to remove self and start teaching them how to perform those greater works of miracles, signs and wonders. Amen.

• Matthew 4:19 Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!"

I believe Jesus told the Disciples to follow me and I will make you fishermen of men was to equip them for the call of winning lost souls. To be a disciple means Servant, Apostle, to be devoted to God, Student, and learner, supporter of God, and A person who walks in the Apostolic anointing, and a worshipper. 

I believe Jesus told the Disciples to leave everything behind, because you must be willing to give up everything! (Luke 14:26."If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.)

I could leave everything and follow Jesus, because of his infinite wisdom! he's my provider, protector, guide and supplier. Everything I have was borrowed from him anyways.

I think the body of Christ do not walk in true demonstrations as Disciples did in the biblical times, because they lack knowledge and wisdom, The leaders don't want to touch on what a disciple is or what they're called to do, they emphasized it, but don't mandate it in their church!

• Jesus told the Disciples to follow me and I will make you fisherman of men because that was His way of letting them know they were getting ready to be trained on how to win souls for the kingdom A disciple is a follower of Christ in action, heart and deed. Jesus told the disciples to leave everything behind because He didn't want them carrying any excess baggage. If they had the things of old trailing them they would never move forward. The body of Christ doesn't walk in true demonstrations because they don't believe and they don't have faith and so many are unclean with unrepentive hearts

• Why did Jesus tell the Disciples to follow me, and I will make you fishermen of men?

This was done to help others find God, to accept God as they did, Jesus was calling them away from their productive trade to be productive spiritually.

A disciple is intensive learner, a serious pupil, one who comes to be taught. Disciple is one that will follow what he has been taught, becomes familiar with the role, laying all else aside and go along with the plan.

Why do you think Jesus told the disciples to leave everything behind?

Leaving everything behind is a great submission and the anointing on Jesus life prick their heart to the point of submission of all.  This is letting Jesus know that he could depend on the disciples to do the work that was set forth for them to accomplish. Trusting God to leave all behind, you will gain the blessing on life.

Do you think you could leave everything behind to follow Jesus?

Knowing what I know now, I am willing to let go, to leave behind.  We should be willing to lose our lives for the sake of the Gospel.  This has to be taught, to have an understand what it mean, we don’t give our lives or leave things behind because are useless but because nothing-not even life itself-can compare to what we gain with Christ, Jesus wants us to choose to follow him rather than to lead a life of sin and self-satisfaction.

Why do you think the body of Christ do not walk in true demonstrations, as the Disciples did in the biblical times?

Due to the lack of knowledge, religious and tradition.   It’s about a relationship with God, allowing God room, and space to do what He desire.  When the leaders hold congregation back far as pursuing and walking in their calling, little do they know, they are holding, and hindering their ministry.  My God, My God.

This reply was deleted.