voice.jpg

THE POSSIBILITY OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD Unquestionably the knowledge of God is desirable; the yearnings of mankind testify to that. But is it possible? The Scriptures attest to two facts: the incomprehensibility of God and the knowability of God. To say that He is incomprehensible is to assert that the mind cannot grasp the knowledge of Him. To say that He is knowable Is to claim that He can be known. Both are true though neither in an absolute sense. To say that God is incomprehensible is to assert that man cannot know everything about Him. To say that He is knowable is not to assert that man can know everything about Him. Both truths are affirmed in the Scriptures: His incomprehensibility in verses like Job 11:7 and Isaiah 40:18, and His knowability in verses like John 14:7; 17:3; and 1 John 5:20.

The Revelation of God: Historically, the two avenues through which God has taken the initiative to reveal Himself have been labeled general and special revelation. General revelation includes all that God has revealed in the world around us, including man, while special revelation includes various means He used to communicate His message in what was codified in the Bible. General revelation is sometimes called natural theology and special revelation is called revealed revelation, However, of course, what is revealed in nature is also revealed in the spirit. Some writers use the labels prelapsarian for general revelation and postlapsarian or soteric for special revelation. However, both general and special revelation are (a) from God and (b) about God. In this chapter we shall discuss general revelation mostly, leaving other aspects of the doctrine of revelation to section III. General revelation provides evidences for the existence of God. Special revelation, on the other hand, generally assumes His existence.

The Perfections of God: If the question was asked, can God be known? the question of this chapter is, can God be defined? If a definition consists of “a word or phrase expressing the essential nature of a person or thing,” then God cannot be defined, for no word or even phrase could express His essential nature. No one could put together such a definition of God. But if the definition were descriptive, then it is possible to define God, though not exhaustively. Indeed, most definitions are descriptive. One of the most famous, that in the Westminster Shorter Catechism, illustrates this kind of definition when it describes God as “Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in His being, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth” (Question). The longer description in the Westminster Confession of Faith simply adds more attributes like love, mercy, and freedom. Even those definitions simply list some of the attributes of God. Attributes are qualities that are inherent to a subject. They identify, distinguish, or analyze the subject. “The Attributes of God.” I prefer “Perfections” because all of the qualities or attributes of God are perfect. His attributes are His perfections.

The Names of God :The many names of God in the Scripture provide additional revelation of His character. These are not mere titles assigned by people but, for the most part, His own descriptions of Himself. As such they reveal aspects of His character. Even when no particular name is used, the occurrence of the phrase “the name of the Lord” reveals something of His character. To call on the name of the Lord was to worship Him (Gen. 21:33). To take His name in vain was to dishonor Him (Ex. 20:7). Not to follow the requirements of the Law involved profaning His name (Lev. 22:2, 32). Priests performed their service in the name of the Lord (Deut. 21:5). His name pledged the continuation of the nation (1 Sam. 12:22).

OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD

ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1Psalm 19:1meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.

ADONAI......Malachi 1:6meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.

JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4a reference to God's divine salvation.

JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"

JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1meaning "The Lord my shepherd"

JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35meaning "The Lord who is present"

JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26meaning "The Lord our healer"

JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6meaning "The Lord our righteousness"

JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14meaning "The Lord will provide"

JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15meaning "The Lord our banner"

JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24meaning "The Lord is peace"

JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3meaning "The Lord of Hosts"

JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6meaning "The God of Recompense"

EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14meaning "The most high God

EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13meaning "The strong one who sees"

EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty

"EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31 meaning "The everlasting God"

Go to the Library and Studies and learn more names of God, and his Trinity.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MY God, this is great reading and knowledgeable, I don't think we will know all there is to know about God, because he is too deep and too wide; however I think if we get closer, and stay at his feet, and really search; God will allow us to know him, and we will grow and have the ability to perform his will that he has given us specifically. "Lord Teach Me, Help Me to Know You".      

• Again praying the names of God always a plus!!!!
  • Yes we do have to watch how we use gods name because god want us to use his name s the meaning we need him for

Evangelist Vanessa Harvell said:

I must repent for using the Lord's name in vain. I must watch how I use God's name. tears are trying to come this lesson is the best. God is the I AM GOD. MY HEART IS SOOOOOOO FULL.

• This was an awesome teaching. It seems to me that praying the name or names of God for a specific situation seems to draw you closer to the heart of God and him closer to your circumstance because you have addressed the concern and called Him directly to it for resolution.
  • I enjoyed this reading this article, and will definitely keep every name in mind.

I also enjoyed Mother Shirley Lee's response this was a good statement "If God were small enough for our minds, He wouldn't be big enough for our needs". And for that he's worthy of praise :-)

Mother Shirley Lee said:

Thousands of years ago, Pharaoh, the Egyptian ruler posed a question people are still asking today: Who is the Lord that I should listen to him?That's a good question but it is not an easy subject to tackle. It is difficult to our limited minds to grasp the limitless eternal God. It has been said, " If God were small enough for our minds, He wouldn't be big enough for our needs." For that reason don't be exasperated if we can't fully understand who God is or why He does certain things. One day, Scripture promises, everything about God and His character will be made perfectly clear to us. We have His word. we have a intimate relationship, through His Son Jesus Christ redemptive work on the cross. I don't profess to know are understand everything about God, that's why sometimes I have to ask Him what do your want me to learn from this experience are this trial are test. But what I do know and that is truly, He is the true and living God worthy of my devotion, praise, honor and obedience. I Know that He is all knowing, ever present, and all Powerful. The Creator of the Universe knows every intimate detail of His creation. He is Holy, He is righteous, He is in control, even if things around us seem to be in chaos. He is Loving and Just. and I'm so grateful that His justice is tempered by His love.Thank You Lord. He is personal, The characteristics of God( My heavenly Father) sets Him apart from so-called "gods" of other religions, philosophies, science or what ever. I do know that His Son Jesus Christ offered what no one else could ever purchase for me and no one can take from me. My deliverance and Soul Salvation.He is Love, (Rom.5:8) Freedom.(1 Pet.3:1) Friendship, that will never disappoint me. Heb.13:5) A reason for living, because following Jesus gives me true meaning and purpose to life. (John.14:6). An unshakable future. He will come back and take me with Him ( John 14:3). An Eternal Home.(Revelation 21:4) Where He will wipe away every tear from my eyes, And there will be no more death or sorrow, crying or pain, all those things will be gone for ever. I do know that.   

• Awesome read. I believe we can know God to a certain degree. I don't believe we can know everything about Him, for He is too awesome and powerful to comprehend the full knowledge of God. The song writer says it best. How can I began to speak about a God that I will never comprehend. So High and Mighty, yet closer than a friend, the Beginning and the End!

• God is our everything, the beginning, the end, alpha and omega.....he's whatever we need he to be...He's my father, my counselor....my friend.....and more......

• God you're an awesome God you rule and reign from Heaven above. God you are my all in all, my counselor, my protector, my provider, my Healer, my beginning and end. You're just a Great God. Nobody Greater than you. You're my keeper, You're my lover and my Lord. Your name is above all. King of the Universe

• We can know God because he is a being, a spirit and He is a vital part of our lives. If we simply give ourselves over to God then we can see the movement of God in our lives. Example when the storms come we can call on Jehovah-Shalom for the peace we need.  When we need healing we call on Jehovah-Rapha for that healing. Just to know that I have a Father who will and can do all things and when I call on Him he hears me simply because He knows me. 

• We must have a relationship with God in Oder to have revelation of who he is and getting to know God then he reveal himself to us empower us with his wisdom and knowledge

This reply was deleted.