Five-Fold Ministry

The Five-Fold Ministry doctrine is derived from Ephesians 4:11 "And He
gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some,
pastors and teachers;"

hand4.gif

Just as the "little cloud...like a man's hand" (I Kings 18:44) preceeded the flooding rain, the five ministry giftings will preceed the greatest outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Holiness and power that the Church of Jesus Christ has ever known.

For almost two thousand years the Church has hobbled about in self-imposed weakness because of Her failure to recognize God's provision for power.

The same preachers who warn us: "Never pray for patience" for "tribulation worketh patience" (Romans 5:3) admonish us to pray and fast for maturity and unity, when our Father's provision is already revealed in Ephesians 4:11-15.

Perhaps their blindness to the truth is motivated by an improper understanding of the ministry gifts. Perhaps they feel that the recognition of these gifts would impose some sort of clerical heirarchy upon the Church. Quite the opposite is true. The function of the ministry gifts and their benefits are like salvation: our Heavenly Father doesn't force salvation on us, our acceptance of Christ as our Savior and all the ensuing benefits is voluntary. The same with the ministry gifts.

Several years ago, I flew to Florida to help my sister-in-law move back to Michigan. Before departing, I gave instructions to a friend to make sure the car was ready for the journey. When I arrived, I discovered that the car which was supposed to haul my sister-in-law and her family as well as a trailer had only four of it's six cylinders functioning. Additionally, the transmission had only second and third gear... no first or reverse! We survived the 1300 mile trip. However, our journey would have much easier had the car been functioning the way it's designers had intended.

As a young Christian, I was told to "read the red" (in other words: study the Gospels, especially the words of Christ). Well, I did. And one thing I learned by studying Jesus' teachings was that He expected the Church to walk in power, unity and maturity. Thirty years later, I can only deduce that today's Church is weak and divided because we are running on only one or two cylinders instead of the five originally intended.

Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11
Responsibility Natural Manifestation
Apostle Doctrine and Discipline Enjoys building things: projects, businesses, etc.
Prophet Discern and Proclaim God's Word. Has a keen (sometimes problematic) sense of Justice.
Evangelist Present the Gospel of Christ to the lost. Enjoys direct contact with people. Most are successful salesmen.
Pastor To care for the everyday needs of the church family Enjoys serving. Loves to have people come to their home.
Teacher Instruct the Church in the practicalapplication of God's Word. Is able to explain complex issues in a way that even a child can understand.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Five-Fold Ministry is gifts God has given to the church for perfecting, the work of the ministry, edifying the body of Christ.  We all produce a function within the church.  Also in my studies our oneness in Christ does not destroy our individuality.  The Holy Spirit has given each Christian special gifts for building up the church.  We all have a part; after last night I know that I know my calling, my gifts and I will utilize them to the fullest.   

• I really take ownership to everything i just read
  •  What is Five-Fold Ministry?

AMEN. THANK GOD MY CHURCH IS OPERATING IN THE FIVE FOLD MINISTRY. THIS IS DEFIANTLY ORDER THAT'S NEEDED IN THE CHURCH. I BELIEVE IT’S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE LOCAL CHURCH TO RAISE UP AND EQUIP God's PEOPLE IN THEIR GIFTING AND CALLINGS

• I was wondering why people always said don't pray for patience! Lord I'm so enjoing this class and all that I'm learning...the church needs more people to walk in their calling so that people can be healed and set free
  • The Five-Fold Ministry doctrine is derived from Ephesians 4:11 "And He
    gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some,
    pastors and teachers;"

1 Kings 18:44New International Version (NIV)

44 The seventh time the servant reported, “A cloud as small as a man’s hand is rising from the sea.”

So Elijah said, “Go and tell Ahab, ‘Hitch up your chariot and go down before the rain stops you.’”

Romans 5:3New International Version (NIV)

Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

Ephesians 4:11-15New International Version (NIV)

11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. 15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is,

Christ.Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11

Responsibility Natural Manifestation
    Apostle Doctrine and Discipline Enjoys building things: projects, businesses, etc.
    Prophet Discern and Proclaim God's Word. Has a keen (sometimes problematic) sense of Justice.
    Evangelist Present the Gospel of Christ to the lost. Enjoys direct contact with people. Most are successful salesmen.
    Pastor To care for the everyday needs of the church family Enjoys serving. Loves to have people come to their home.
    Teacher Instruct the Church in the practicalapplication of God's Word. Is able to explain complex issues in a way that even a child can understand.

The Lord blessed His children via the church by providing them with the divine gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers to build up the Christians so that they could do the work of God. Despite our omission and or co-mission to follow the Lords church blue print, we continue to enjoy His protection and provision (grace and mercy).  Now that the low hanging fruit has been unpacked and revealed, our spirits have been quickened to fulfill our destiny in Christ Jesus.  Amen.        

Bible Gateway passage: Romans 5:3 - New International Version
    Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
  • I agree and feel like today's church is a weaker version of the church because people have the come as you are mentality which we want you to come as you are but don't stay as you are. church leaders are worried about so many different things instead of flowing in the gifts the structure of the church. When I was younger you saw people standing up speaking a word in there heavenly language and someone else interpreted, I saw people in wheelchairs rise up and walk, it excited me to see God move through the gifts he has given. Once the church gets back to the understanding that we need one another to survive and once people realize who they are and what their gifts are we will see such a great manifestation of the power of God. We are to go make disciples but if we can't unite and be on one accord how will we be effective?
  • This is so true todays church has gotten away from walking in the five-fold ministry gifts. Church leaders are worried about so many different things that the unity of the body seems as though it has been forgotten. I remember the mother's of the church prayed until something happened. With the gifts in full operation we will see such a great manifestation of God's power. Jesus told us to go make disciples and gave us these gifts as instruments to do that. Just being able to literally see people in wheelchairs rise up and walk through the laying on of hands. The body of Christ has to get to the point where we know we need one another to survive all in their place ready to do what we are called to do.
  • When I was younger, we had the fivefold ministry within our church and everything was done in decency and order.  Now, the church has gotten away from this and I think this is why we are having a lot of problems within the church.  We have a divide in the church today, because we aren't using the fivefold ministry, but only certain parts of it.  We cannot use only certain parts of it, but the whole part of it.  Then, we have people who do not understand their responsibilities within the fivefold ministry.  I thank God for you breaking this down by giving us our responsibilities and backing it up with the WORD of GOD.  We all need to know what is required and expected of us by God when using our gifts of being an Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher.  Now that I know, it is my job to make sure those who come behind me know, comprehend and understand if they have been called to do one of these within the Ministry of God.

• I agree that there must be a misunderstanding of the 5 fold ministry and because there isn't any desires to seek God on clarity the churh has suffered. 

• Minister Albright, I agree all parts of the body must function as one,however some of them can't see the Forrest for the trees. They think the battle is with each other instead of with the enemy. By the time they realize it they have given the enemy an open door way to enter their lives. Being vigilant and watchful must be a constant part to remain focused.
This reply was deleted.