DR.CHARLES STANLEY-5-14-11

Selfish Christianity John 6:22-27 Which interests you more—who Jesus is or what He can do for you? I’m afraid that too many of us are more concerned about what He can give us than we are about getting to know who He is. But this is nothing new—Jesus had this problem when He walked on earth. The crowds often sought Him out for what He could do for them. Even though their needs were quite often legitimate, Christ knew their motives. There is a fine line between selfishly trying to use the Lord to get what we want and humbly coming to Him with our needs and struggles. Some of the issues we bring to Him are so pressing and urgent in our minds that our desire for Him to take action in the way we want becomes greater than our willingness to submit to His will. At times, what we call “faith” is really a demanding spirit. We must remember that our needs will come to an end, but Jesus Christ will remain forever. If our prayers have dealt only with presenting our requests to the Lord, we’ve missed a great opportunity to get to know the One with whom we’ll spend eternity. Let’s invest time in pursuing intimacy with Christ. Then we can enjoy the benefits of that relationship forever. How much of your communion with God is devoted to your needs—even legitimate ones? Are you spending any time getting to know the Lord? Although God delights in our prayers and tells us to pray about everything, He also wants us to come to Him just because we enjoy being with Him.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's true I have come to God with a lot of of requests but it also pleases me just to learn about who he is and to worship God and sing praises to his name is so fulfilling. I agree with Sidney Tyson it's very good reading and must be taught all throughout the world.

• This was a very good reading. I use to view God as Santa Claus because I was only coming to him with request and needs for myself. I honestly didn't truly understand the importance of the relationship with JESUS until to 2015. It;s something that needs to be preached and taught throughout the body of Christ.

This reply was deleted.