Recently, I’ve been reading through the book of Genesis with my daughter, Hannah. I’ve been trying to read the book through my daughter’s eyes. Since she is eight (and a girl), it’s a bit of stretch for me. Recently, we read about Joseph, the son of Jacob, and learned some valuable lessons. One lesson in particular was the importance of saving. I often call the discipline of saving “The Joseph Principle.” If you don’t know the story of Joseph, I highly recommend you read it beginning in Genesis 37. After a series of bad events, Joseph was ultimately put in charge of Egypt. The reason Pharaoh placed Joseph in charge of Egypt was because of the wisdom he displayed when Pharaoh needed to have his dreams interpreted. You see, as we see in Genesis 41:17-24, Pharaoh was having some odd dreams: So Pharaoh told him the dream. "I was standing on the bank of the Nile River," he said. "Suddenly, seven fat, healthy-looking cows came up out of the river and began grazing along its bank. But then seven other cows came up from the river. They were very thin and gaunt-in fact, I've never seen such ugly animals in all the land of Egypt. These thin, ugly cows ate up the seven fat ones that had come out of the river first, but afterward they were still as ugly and gaunt as before! Then I woke up. A little later I had another dream. This time there were seven heads of grain on one stalk, and all seven heads were plump and full. Then out of the same stalk came seven withered heads, shriveled by the east wind. And the withered heads swallowed up the plump ones! I told these dreams to my magicians, but not one of them could tell me what they mean." Pharaoh asked everyone but God to help him interpret the dreams. No one could help, until Joseph came as an agent for God and was able to interpret Pharaoh’s dreams. Joseph told Pharaoh the seven healthy cows (think angus beef) represented seven years of harvest. The seven gaunt cows (probably the kind of cows they use to make Steakums) represented seven years of famine. This is a great reminder that economic cycles have been going on for thousands of years and are actually normal. Economies go up and they go down. We’ve seen this here in the United States. In the past 70 years, the US has had 12 recessions averaging about 10 months each. In the past 70 years, there have been 840 months. About 120 of those months were spent in recession. In the other 720 months, the economy grew. So, Joseph knew Egypt was in the midst of an economic boom (part of the economic cycle). Joseph told Pharaoh that for the next seven years they should save one fifth (20%) of the harvest of Egypt during the seven years of abundance. This way, when the famine came they would have enough food to survive the coming famine. The plan worked to perfection.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is just a confirmaton for me, right before I started this class, due to circumstances unforseen i was in finanicial bondage from robbing peter to pay paul, as my mom would say I had a bought and taught lesson for real! I made a decision to get out of the madness. I prayed and repented to God to help and to show me how to get out of my mess, I listen now I'm headed in the right direction, when i go to the store i now ask myself is this a want or a need if its a need i get it, if its a want it has to wait until I'm bless to get it. Ive maintaining my budget and it is increasing I thank God for the lesson.

• I agree with the comments above. And I do beloeve the bible is a blueprint. Its life. Its our dictionary.. we meed to save a percentage of our income, I do believe this was put out for a warning. We are deff in the end times, amd this will get worse. Amd we need to prepare. And have a lifestyle of saving amd just being prepared amd watchful for the end times. Traim ur peoplr lord. That we may b3 prepared in jesus name amen.

• The book of the bible is definitely the blueprint for Life and the world we live in! If we could imagine Obama and the government going into the bible to resolve modern time issues they would not have to reinvent the wheel! God has given us all the tools we need. He even gives us revelations, although we may not understand everything all at once, but he will give us wisdom and knowledge along the way.

• I totally need to work on more saving.

• Ne'eman I agree we all do, so later on we can reap the benefits 

• I believe that God gave us many examples, and teaching regarding saving, and being good stewards regarding our finances.  God offers wisdom concerning laziness and the financial ruin that has inevitably results. We are told to consider the industrious ant who works to store up food for itself. The passage also warns against sleeping when we should be working at something profitable. A “sluggard” is a lazy, slothful person who would rather rest than work. His end is assured poverty and want. At the other end of the spectrum is the one who is obsessed with gaining money. Such a one, according to story after story in the Bible never has enough wealth to satisfy him and must be constantly grasping more and more.  The Bible also warns against the trap of desiring wealth. God said he will supply are needs according to his riches and glory.  God also said if we delight ourselves in him he will give us the desires of our heart.  Seek you first the kingdom of God, and all these things we have need and want of God promised to supply.  Good is good and faithful.  I am a witness:)  No good thing will he withhold from anyone who stands upright before him. 

• Great reading.  My husband and I were just talking about savings and its relation to trusting God.  We must use wisdom when it comes to finances.  There will be times when there will be an over abundance to save and there will be times when there is none.  What I take from this is that our times of prosperity or famine may not be the length of years but may be months at a time.  In whatever form God has seen fit, we must be led by the Holy Spirit on how to properly put aside portions.  

• I believe in our economic situation that exist right now we are going to have to walk by faith and trust God and the prophets, seers, and the word of God that proceed out of their mouth in order to be successful during our time of famine. I truly believe if America would put God back into the places where he need to be, repent, and seek his face earnestly, I believe God will heal our nation and allow us to prosper once again. God is the answer for everything, through him all things are possible, and no weapon formed against us will prosper, but we have to seek him diligent in this hour.

This reply was deleted.