620af245789053c2d9fcf6c6635a2ee1.jpg

Does God really talk to us? Can we really hear God's voice? We often doubt if we are hearing from God until we learn to recognize the ways God speaks to us. 

How to Hear from God

Wouldn't it be great if God decided to use billboards to talk to us? Just think, we could drive down the road and God would simply choose one of a zillion billboards to get our attention. There we'd be with a mapped out message straight from God. Pretty cool, huh?

I've often thought that method would certainly work for me! On the other hand, he could use something more subtle. Like a gentle rap on the side of the head whenever we veer off the course. Yup, there's a thought. God smacking people whenever they don't listen. I'm afraid we'd all be walking around in a daze from all that rapping "activity."

Hearing from God is a learned skill.

Of course, you could be one of the lucky ones like Moses, who was walking up the mountain, minding his own business, when he stumbled upon the burning bush. Most of us don't have those kinds of encounters so we find ourselves looking for skills to help us hear from God.

How Can I Tell if God is Talking to Me?

Here are some common ways God talks to us:

• His Word 
    In order to actually "hear" from God, we have to know some things about God's character. We have to develop an understanding of who God is, and the way he does things. Fortunately for us, all that information is available in the Bible. The Book goes into a lot of detail about how you can expect God to react, what kinds of expectations he has for us, and most specifically, how he expects us to treat other people. It's actually a pretty good book, given its age.

• Other People
    Many times God will use other people to try to get through to us. It's possible for God to use anyone at any time, but I find more messages coming from people who are practicing Christians than non-practicing ones.

• Our Circumstances
      Sometimes the only way God can teach us something is to allow circumstances in our life to lead us to and through the very thing we need to discover. One of my favorite authors, Joyce Meyer, says, "There's no such thing as a drive-through break-through."

• The Still Small Voice
      Most of the time God uses a tiny voice inside us to let us know when we're not on the right path. Some people call it "the voice of peace." Whenever we're contemplating something and we don't have peace about it, it's a very good idea to stop and carefully look at the options. There's a reason you don't feel peace about it.

• The Actual Voice
      Sometimes we're able to "hear" something in our spirit that sounds to us like an actual audible voice. Or all of a sudden, you just know you heard something. Pay attention to those occasions because it is very likely God trying to tell you something.

When God Talks, Be Quiet and Listen

Let me give you an example. A couple years ago I signed up to become a hospital visitor for my church. When I first saw the notice in our church bulletin, I immediately felt that I should respond. But, I let it pass. Over the next couple of weeks, the thought occurred to me off and on so I said to myself, "If I see the notice in the bulletin this coming Sunday, I'll sign up."

Of course, it was in there. But this time when I saw it, there was no getting away from it. I finally had to say, "Okay, okay God, I'm going!"

So there I was doing hospital visits for the first time. I was nervous, but I prayed a lot before I went, and I was doing okay. But on my way to the second hospital, I prayed again that God would use me to represent Him to all the sick people, giving comfort, etc.

Right in front of the hospital was a crosswalk with a traffic light. As I stood at the corner I kept praying, starting to cross, even though the light was red. I mean, I was in a hurry trying to get to all those sick people!

Right in the middle of the street I heard, "So you want to represent Me, and you can't even make it across the street without breaking the law?"

I was so shocked by this, I said the most spiritual thing I could think of, "Oops."

God uses lots of things to talk to us. But actually hearing from God isn't so much a matter of if he's talking, but rather, whether we're listening.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God speaks to us and in our understanding. I know for me sometimes His voice is so clear and He calls me by name, He will say Tamara I need you to or deliver this or say that and if I don't He will keep on me until it is done. Sometimes I can be reading something and a message will be right there and if I don't acknowledge, it will remain in my spirit or on my mind until I get it. I love this personal relationship it reminds me of being right where He wants or needs me to be. 

• God speaks through us through his word and through people as a confirmation.

• Amen. We must pay attention to the voices and the physical activities that happen around us. I pay attention to the timing of events when I see and/or hear things that seem to point to those events. An example of this is when one of our friends had an issue with credit and getting a car. My wife and I referred them to our dealership to get a vehicle. During their stop at the dealership, I heard the lord tell  me to apply for my new car. I was planning to wait a few more months but obeyed the voice and did it the very next day. I not only got a brand new vehicle (which I didn't think my credit was quite ready) but my FICO went way up. Plus I qualified for the very top of the line version of the previous truck I just had but with a better interest rate plus a red carpet service plan. Hallelujah!!

• This is one of my favorite messages so far... Hearing the voice of God.. Its apart of me like worship is, if i couldn't hear Him I would be lost.. So I'm so grateful He speaks to us. That He loves us so much He considered all of this even prior to design. In desiring us He already had communication in mind before the foundation of the world. He created us to sup with Him n walk throughout the cool of the day with Him always. What an awesome God n Father we serve! ;)

• So many different ways he is speaking to us we must constantly be receptive to the Holy Spirit,ready to listen for his voice. When we position ourselves to be listeners of the voice of God we allow everything that he speaks to us to be clear,the Word tells us to seek and we shall find, so if we are listening for his voice we show also hear.
  • Praise Our Father All my Sisters and Brothers from another mothers, All of you are so right. Most of all I realized that I must and I repeat must Know, Understand, And have a true Relationship with God and you must know who LL that means the devil who he is, a Liar and a Loser. Agape Family!!!!

• God speaks to everyone different depending on the relationship level .... God can come to you by other people ..songs ... readings .... billboards God will speak you you in your dreams.. you just have to SHUT UP and listen to what he is trying to say.
  • God  speaks to me early in the morning. Sometimes I can hear the voice so clear. Sometimes its a deep gut feeling about something.  Sometimes it so much confusion I cant here.

• HALLELUJAH........WHEN GOD TALKS,SHUT UP AND LISTEN even if it's not what u want to hear...We must live so God can speak to us and lead us in the right direction and get us where we need to be in Him for His glory..

• I'm striving to be more obedient than ever before of his voice.  I use to be confused but, now "my spirit" is more focused & more settled.  Striving to marinate in my studies, and I'm doing it all on "PURPOSE'!!:):)

This reply was deleted.