Mark 5:1-20

New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Restores a Demon-Possessed Man

They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes.[a] When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”

Then Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“My name is Legion,” he replied, “for we are many.” 10 And he begged Jesus again and again not to send them out of the area.

11 A large herd of pigs was feeding on the nearby hillside. 12 The demons begged Jesus, “Send us among the pigs; allow us to go into them.” 13 He gave them permission, and the impure spirits came out and went into the pigs. The herd, about two thousand in number, rushed down the steep bank into the lake and were drowned.

14 Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.16 Those who had seen it told the people what had happened to the demon-possessed man—and told about the pigs as well. 17 Then the people began to plead with Jesus to leave their region.

18 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him. 19 Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 20 So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis[b] how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.

Footnotes:

1. Mark 5:1 Some manuscripts Gadarenes; other manuscripts Gergesenes
  2. Mark 5:20 That is, the Ten Cities

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord Romans 14:11...... The demons are subject to the authority of God.  It is so amazing that this type of power and authority was given to us/me.  When I read that the demons did not want to be cast out of that area, a light bulb began to shine.  We can effect regions when we identify the spirit that is controlling the area.  WOW!  We have to be willing to be those Agents of Change.  

• When true different takes place in a man/woman's life,you can't help but to go run and tell it. Same thing happened with the woman at the well, when she was delivered she went to the people and said, come see a man who told her all things.The authority and power that Jesus demonstrated over demonic forces and legends of demon's is absolutely amazing. He gave us that same power and authority to conquer all works of darkness.
  • We are not a match for spiritual enemies in our own strength, but in the Lord and the power of his might, we will be able to stand against them. even though there are legions of them.
  • Wow! God is constantly showing us so much about love, forgiveness, compassion and mercy for your enemy, and if someone do something that you feel you cannot forgive them, remember this story they too may need deliverance and walk in love. I know for me God has forgiven me for alot of things over the years and now i know i had impure spirit inside . But now I am born again  I'm so grateful and humble to know that despite my short comings he still loves me I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..

• All God had to do was speak to the demons and they responded back already knowing that he was the Son of God.

• My Lord... the power. That authority... those demons tremmbled and feared the most high. Begging to nim.... thank you lord for the lessons. Hes showing us the power that he left us...... showsus the authority we have over these demonds. And we shall not fear because of who we belong to. The most high. Thank you Lord

• Here is a man that is demon possessed that has been tormenting a man. This unclean spirit perhaps had permission to take residence.  As Jesus approached he ran to meet him as the man recognized Jesus right along with the demons that is why they cried out and Jesus commanded the impure spirit to come out. This man is at the feet of Jesus, he desires to be made whole.  Now Jesus usurping his authority spoke to the demon and responded for now he was concerned where Jesus would send him.  Although there were many (legion) only one spoke as a representative. His desire was to return to the area to devour others should he be release but Jesus would not have that.  By sending the demons into the pigs they were unable to possess anyone else.  The man after being delivered wanted to stick close with Jesus to avoid being tormented by his own.  Yet, Jesus wanted him to tell everyone how he had been delivered in hope that others might want to know Jesus and be saved. 

• My GOD, my God. This is really good Pastor Wiley
    All smiles because I'm growing in knowledge.
    Anj
  • In reading the scripture of the demon possessed man, it really shines light on so much.  It’s obvious this man is enslaved by satan, he is under the control of satan, and he has unclean spirits.  Not only that he is home of not just one foul spirit, but a Legion of demon.  Legions in the Roman army could be between 2000-6000 men, when Jesus command those demons come out the man and they entered a herd of swine about 2000.

This man was under total control of the devil.  The strength of these demons was obviously very strong from the scripture. This man lived in tombs, he was wild and those people who had tried to catch an tame him wasn’t able to keep him bond because of his demonic strength.  He was very self-destructive.  This man is no different from the billions of lost people in the world today, that live for themselves without realizing that they’re life choices are destructive and damning, Pro.16:25.  People under demonic influence cannot be helped by human intervention, well wishes, or good intentions. They have spiritual need and the need a spiritual solution.

And that solution is Jesus Christ. So many are lost and are blind to their condition. Even so this demons possess man ran from everyone else, but what was interesting the scripture says, he ran to Jesus. Even in his tormented mind this man still had the knowledge or right and wrong. So tells me that lost people also know that the difference between right and wrong.  Because a person is lost, living foolishly, doesn’t mean that their stupid, or even unaware of their sins.

I believe in Mark 5:17, Jesus new those people were going to cast him out before he got in the boat and crossed to the other side of the lake, and I believe Jesus purpose was to cross to deliver this one poor, tormented man. That is the love Jesus has for the lost, that is what compassion Jesus has for the lost and hurting, the tormented, disregarded.  

Just as Jesus crossed that lake to reach this one lost soul, Jesus also came to this world to go to the cross to die for the lost souls of humanity. Phil. 2:5+11; John 18:37; Luke 19; 10. Both events were accomplished.  We see here today with many we come in contact with what this poor man must have lived, and what others saw him as. I read v. 6-12, I can relate and understand how this is viewed, when everyone else looked at this man, they saw a hopeless case, Jesus saw a man.  He saw a human in need of heavenly intervention.

Jesus didn’t see this man as he was, Jesus saw him as he could be through divine intervention!  As Christian many have lost sight of how we once were lost before Jesus found us. That is what Jesus sees when He looks at the lost people! People see drunk, He sees a deacon or a psalmist, people see a drug addict, and He sees a preacher! People see a harlot, He sees a choir member! That is why lives are changed when they come to Jesus! He will take what you give Him and He will give you something much more precious in return! You give Jesus a crab apple; He’ll give you back a golden delicious. You give Jesus your thorns; He’ll give you back a beautiful rose. You give Jesus your acorn; He’ll give you back a mighty oak. Give Jesus your Jacob, the schemer; He’ll give you back an Israel, a prince with God.  You give Jesus Simon, the cursing fisherman; He’ll give you back a Simon Peter, mighty preacher. You give Jesus your Saul, persecutor of the church, He’ll give you back Paul, militant missionary apostle.  You give yourself to Jesus; you’ll be amazed at what He’ll do with you. It’s amazing what Jesus can do with a human, 2 Cor. 5:17-“New creation”!)

• Christ is dispossessing the strong man armed when he came to the other side, he was to rescue this man out of the hands of Satan, this man was under the power of a unclean spirit, he was raving mad, his condition was worst than any of the possessed that Christ had healed, the man stayed in the tombs among the graves of dead people. Cords or chains, fetters or iron could not hold this man or bind him, the man was in the mountains and tombs crying and cutting himself with stones. When he saw Jesus afar off coming he ran and worshipped him, the man ran upon others with rage, but he ran to Christ with reverence. This was done by the invisible hand of Christ which could not be done by chains or fetters. The man worshipped Christ in a sense that he needed his help with the power of Satan, when Christ gave the command for the unclean spirit to come out of the man it made him relieved and enabled the man to run and worship him for his deliverance. The devil in the man cried out in a loud voice making use of the mans tongue, what have I to do with thee God of the most high, he owns Jesus to be the son of the most High God, the unclean spirit requested Jesus not to be torment him, Jesus told the unclean spirit to come out of the man and asked the spirit what was his name, the spirit answered saying Legion, for we are many. The Legions requested Christ to suffer them to go into the herd of swine that was feeding near by, when the devil ran into the swine they ran right into the sea and drowned. After Satan had been casted out the man was in his right mind and the people was afraid and began to pray for Jesus to leave their coast. The man wanted to follow Jesus when he left , Jesus told him to go home to his family and friends and tell them of the great things that the Lord had done for him and how Jesus had compassion on the man.

This reply was deleted.