(Math 10) week three reading.

Jesus Sends Out the Twelve

10 Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.

These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

“Do not get any gold or silver or copper to take with you in your belts— 10 no bag for the journey or extra shirt or sandals or a staff, for the worker is worth his keep. 11 Whatever town or village you enter, search there for some worthy person and stay at their house until you leave. 12 As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13 If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15 Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.

16 “I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. 17 Be on your guard; you will be handed over to the local councils and be flogged in the synagogues. 18 On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. 19 But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, 20 for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Fatherspeaking through you.

21 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parentsand have them put to death. 22 You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

24 “The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of his household!

26 “So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the roofs. 28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[b] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

Footnotes:

1. Matthew 10:8 The Greek word traditionally translated leprosy was used for various diseases affecting the skin.
  2. Matthew 10:29 Or will; or knowledge
  3. Matthew 10:36 Micah 7:6

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What I enjoyed most about this was how Jesus gave the disciples such great n detailed instructions. Line upon line n precept upon precept lol.. I also noticed how at v. 21 he began to describe whats happening even now today. Brother betrays brother unto death, n father his child; children will rebel against their parents n have them put to death.

Then v. 34 man against his father, daughter against her mother, daughter-in-law against mother-in-law,

v. 36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.

Then he brings it on home in v. 40 Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me n anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me! Profound!!!!

In life many times we experience rejection... n most cases we take it to heart n it can be taken so personally.  But this scripture makes it so clear, they're not really rejecting us, the person as much as The God.. in us.

So with that being said, Do our children really hate us?... Like stated in John 14:15, If you love me you'll obey me. Yes n No.. We being spiritual n also carnal (of the flesh n of the spirit both are true). See there's a war in our members as Paul says in Romans 17:14-25  

Or Fathers their children? Innately Fathers want to bless their children Matthew 7:11... But there's more here that meets the eye. There's an epidemic in our society, known as "deadbeat dad". Brother killing brother, displayed in Genesis 4:9-16. I'm sure we've all had our moments, outraged by whats going on around us n I just named a few. S here's the million dollar question?

What's really behind all thats happening in our relationships, families, communities? these are REAL issues, but not NEW issues They've been around since the beginning of time. N sometimes we forget that there is NOTHING new underneath the sun; Ecclesiastes 1:9. So this encouraged me... that reminder:

1. To follow all given instructions to the tee...

2. To continue to PRAY n know who your fighting... for we wrestle not against flesh in blood Ephesians 6:12

3. To hold on tight n know God's got it because its nothing new to Him, He's seen it all before lol...

I needed that reminder!! Thank you Lord! ;) 

• This walk is not an easy walk ,that is why it is very important to fellowship with someone that can pray,fast and could hold you accountable . We must not fear what our mother, our father, husband ,our friends say or criticize  about us .We are to stand on the promises of his word. Remember the Lord Jesus had to go thru some stuff to fulfill his purpose .Sufferings are not for the servants of the Lord alone but for all children of God. “In this you greatly rejoice through now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials.” (I Pet. 1:6 nkjv) “We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.” (Acts 14:22) “... all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution Tim. 3:12) Remember these words. Jesus never promised that you will not have suffering or persecution if you follow Me. On the other hand Jesus said, “You will have tribulations in this world” Remember these words of Jesus and commit yourselves to persecution and suffering for Him. We must continue to seek his face morning, noon and night and dwell under the shadow of the almighty.

• when we are sent out by Christ, one thing he does not do is send us out powerless. Everything we need to accomplish the task at hand has been given to us, and remains at our disposal compliments of the Holy Spirit.It is so very important to always let people know about the God we serve, and who we believe and trust in.The main reason why he came back to Earth is to bring all his people back to him, and he uses his children to accomplish his work in the earth.
  • Speak Lord Jesus!!! Love this passage, so plan and simple. making us aware of the situation at hand. "Take up your cross and follow me" we will have to face some tough situations but God has our back.  We must follow his instructions. His ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts. So we must put our thinking aside and follow God's plan. Say only what God gives us to say, and don't worry about what the people say or do. If they don't receive it shake the dust from your feet, and move on.

• I'm extremely grateful, that I can choose freely whom I want to serve.  I really admire Jesus Christ for all that he sacrificed for us.  We have the nerve to complain about "our misfortunes".  Our problems are a cakewalk compared to what they went through to follow Christ.

• You said that right you will get haters just from being a woman or a man of God because they don't like the blessings you are getting from God!

Naomi Adams said:

Wow!! Just because you love Jesus and you go out and preach the gospel, you gather haters... Thank God he has our back as we follow him. I had haters before I gave my life completely to God, guess I will have even more now.....to bad, I am following Jesus!!!!

• WOG, for now that is true......
    Sarah McCurtis said:

Everything he to his disciples he said to us his disciples. I tha k God that I live in a country where I can freely serve him.

• Realizing our power in Christ. using His wisdom and knowledge and not our own To whom much is given, much is required. expect persecution and rejection(spiritual warfare) but keep your testimony.. Remembering u are sheep in the midst of wolves, we cant lose sight of the Shepherds voice. OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SARCIFICE. The whole chapter is delightful to the soul.......

• God had given us authority over all. We must step out on faith knowing that we will be persecuted but knowing also that good will protect us every step of the way. !If they hated Jesus, expect to be hated also. ..
  • Wow!! Just because you love Jesus and you go out and preach the gospel, you gather haters... Thank God he has our back as we follow him. I had haters before I gave my life completely to God, guess I will have even more now.....to bad, I am following Jesus!!!!

This reply was deleted.