Five-Fold Ministry

The Five-Fold Ministry doctrine is derived from Ephesians 4:11 "And He
gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some,
pastors and teachers;"

hand4.gif

Just as the "little cloud...like a man's hand" (I Kings 18:44) preceeded the flooding rain, the five ministry giftings will preceed the greatest outpouring of the Holy Spirit in Holiness and power that the Church of Jesus Christ has ever known.

For almost two thousand years the Church has hobbled about in self-imposed weakness because of Her failure to recognize God's provision for power.

The same preachers who warn us: "Never pray for patience" for "tribulation worketh patience" (Romans 5:3) admonish us to pray and fast for maturity and unity, when our Father's provision is already revealed in Ephesians 4:11-15.

Perhaps their blindness to the truth is motivated by an improper understanding of the ministry gifts. Perhaps they feel that the recognition of these gifts would impose some sort of clerical heirarchy upon the Church. Quite the opposite is true. The function of the ministry gifts and their benefits are like salvation: our Heavenly Father doesn't force salvation on us, our acceptance of Christ as our Savior and all the ensuing benefits is voluntary. The same with the ministry gifts.

Several years ago, I flew to Florida to help my sister-in-law move back to Michigan. Before departing, I gave instructions to a friend to make sure the car was ready for the journey. When I arrived, I discovered that the car which was supposed to haul my sister-in-law and her family as well as a trailer had only four of it's six cylinders functioning. Additionally, the transmission had only second and third gear... no first or reverse! We survived the 1300 mile trip. However, our journey would have much easier had the car been functioning the way it's designers had intended.

As a young Christian, I was told to "read the red" (in other words: study the Gospels, especially the words of Christ). Well, I did. And one thing I learned by studying Jesus' teachings was that He expected the Church to walk in power, unity and maturity. Thirty years later, I can only deduce that today's Church is weak and divided because we are running on only one or two cylinders instead of the five originally intended.

Ministry Gifts in Ephesians 4:11
Responsibility Natural Manifestation
Apostle Doctrine and Discipline Enjoys building things: projects, businesses, etc.
Prophet Discern and Proclaim God's Word. Has a keen (sometimes problematic) sense of Justice.
Evangelist Present the Gospel of Christ to the lost. Enjoys direct contact with people. Most are successful salesmen.
Pastor To care for the everyday needs of the church family Enjoys serving. Loves to have people come to their home.
Teacher Instruct the Church in the practicalapplication of God's Word. Is able to explain complex issues in a way that even a child can understand.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This information was really informative.  I enjoyed the example that was used with the car.  Sometimes in life, church folk make "unity" so difficult to establish.  I believe that's why so many people "church-hop" or fail to come at all.  To be honest, that's why I failed to participate in church for so long or truly walk in my gift(s).  After reading this article, I believe that I walk in 4/5 gifts.  I don't believe I walk in the gifting as an Apostle.  However, I know that I have a prophetic gift.  I've had this awesome gift since age 16 yrs old.  I Evangelize all the time when I'm out.  My children hate to see me get excited ministering at the mall, while dining, etc. :-)  I was just recently told by Apostle T. Wiley that I had the gifting of a Pastor.  Many people had shared this with me, but once again, I ran from that too.  Lastly, I know that I'm a teacher.  I've taught for years within the corridors of public/higher education.  This information has truly blessed my life.

• We cannot come to maturity without recognizing the five-fold ministry gifts ofEphesians 4:11  comments.gif – apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers (they are a team)! Their purpose and function is for “the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the son of God, to a perfect (“mature”) man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children(immature), tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine(“teaching”), by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up (mature) in all things into Him who is the head – Christ – from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love” (Ephesians 4:11-16 

• This should be in all the churches so that the order is being kept so people can get the fullness of delverence

• This is something that everyone should be happy with what ever God has blessed us with because it all plays a part of the big picture to help build his kingdom
  • AMEN!!!

• The Five Fold Ministry represent Five Ministries in the body of Christ is to used to edified ,edifying for their edification.

To help build up the kingdom of God. We need all these ministries to help serve in the body of Christ Jesus 

One ministries can not due without the other. That the Lord will be pleased and glorify, the Father which is in heaven. Apostle, Prophet,Evangelist Pastor, and Teacher must have love and the spirit of kindness especially the household of faith.

Amen! 

• I totally agree with you. The church is decaying from a lack of knowledge and religion. This is how my mother and father did does not mean that's the way it should be. The church needs the entire body (all five fold) to operate in order to function properly. 

• Blessings Taschia, I can relate when you stated that, most leaders say all that is needed in the Body of Christ are Pastors, Mothers, and Deacons. I heard that so much myself until God shift me,and fed me the truth. Deacons are not in the five-fold, and mothers are not as well. Because the Body of Christ is not function in the five-fold the whole body is decaying. 

Taschia Thompson said:

There is power in unity. When the five fold is in operation in the church body the power of God flows with the presence of miracles. I was taught in my church growing up that it did take all that. All that was needed was the pastor, deacons, mothers, and Sunday school teacher. But when I was filled with the Holy Spirit and allowed Him to teach me where true power reside, my God what a difference.

• There is power in unity. When the five fold is in operation in the church body the power of God flows with the presence of miracles. I was taught in my church growing up that it did take all that. All that was needed was the pastor, deacons, mothers, and Sunday school teacher. But when I was filled with the Holy Spirit and allowed Him to teach me where true power reside, my God what a difference.

• amen
This reply was deleted.