3730021281?profile=original

DELIVERANCE FROM DOUBLE MINDEDNESS
Becoming Stable in an Unstable World

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. (James 1:8)

Young’s Literal Translation reads
a two-souled man is unstable in all his ways

The Greek phrase for double-minded literally means “double-souled.” A person in this condition is always wavering, irresolute, doubting, changing, and inconsistent. God did not create us to be unstable people. He created us in his image. God is not unstable. God is the same today, yesterday, and forever. God is dependable and consistent. He wants us to be the same. Unfortunately most of us are not fully stable, but thank God for his mercy and delivering power.

Synonyms for double-mindedness include indecisive, hesitating; vacillating; wavering. Hesitate – procrastinate; question; waver; tarry; vacillate; put off; doubt; linger; delay; defer; brood over; deter; be doubtful; waffle; pause. The double-minded man has problems making decisions and sticking with them. He is also changing his mind concerning relationships, career, ministries, and churches due to instability.

Inconsistent means displaying or marked by a lack of consistency, especially: Not regular or predictable; erratic.
Unstable means tending strongly to change, not constant; fluctuating: unstable vital signs, fickle. Lacking control of one’s emotions; marked by unpredictable behavior.
Not firmly placed; unsteady.

Perhaps we can understand this even better by defining stable. Stable means not likely to change or fail; firmly established, not easily moved or disturbed, not easily moved or thrown off balance; firm; steady; not likely to break down, fall apart, or give way, not volatile, or varying infrequently within a narrow range, not subject to mental illness or irrationality, fixed; firmly established; not to be easily moved. How many can say that they fit this description in their personality and makeup?

Barnes’ Notes on the Bible
A double minded man – The word here used, δίψυχος dipsuchos occurs only here and in James 4:8. It means, properly, one who has two souls; then one who is wavering or inconstant. It is applicable to a man who has no settled principles; who is controlled by passion; who is influenced by popular feeling; who is now inclined to one opinion or course of conduct, and now to another.

Gill’s Exposition of the Entire Bible
A double minded man,…. A man of two souls, or of a double heart, that speaks and asks with an heart, and an heart, as in Psalm 12:2 who halts between two opinions, and is at an uncertainty what to do or say, and is undetermined what to ask for; or who is not sincere and upright in his requests, who asks for one thing, and means another, and asks amiss, and with an ill design; does not call upon God in truth, and in the sincerity of his soul; draws nigh to him with his mouth, and honours him with his lips, but his heart is far from him. Such an one is unstable in all his ways; he is confused in his mind; restless in his thoughts, unsettled in his designs and intentions; inconstant in his petitions; uncertain in his notions and opinion of things; and very variable in his actions, and especially in matters of religion; he is always changing, and never at a point, but at a continual uncertainty, both in a way of thinking and doing: he never continues long either in an opinion, or in a practice, but is ever shifting and moving.

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lord God please forgive me for my double minded I know I have got to get rid of that because one minute I'm all in and the next I'm out doing something not focusing on what I really supposed to be doing. So Lord I asked you today to help me throw this double Minded into the fire and never pick it back up. But I don't desire to be this way no longer it hasn't got me anywhere. However I put all my trust in you Lord.

• Ne'eman I have the procrastinate part I fight it alot more this year then last year. I must admit its been a min to get out of that routine of procrastination. But I'm working on it more and more. God going to bring us out so we all can be stable like him. In his likeness. 

• Sometime in our lives we were unstable, being toss by all types of winds, due to various circumstances, different opinions of others, but we had to make a decision on what we were going to believe and stand on, when you take a stand as it states in Eph. 6:13-14a; 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand; Stand therefore,..., My God In The Kingdom, double-minded cease and you begin to walk in a stable being, not being move at all but STAND.   

Perhaps we can understand this even better by defining stable. Stable means not likely to change or fail; firmly established, not easily moved or disturbed, not easily moved or thrown off balance; firm; steady; not likely to break down, fall apart, or give way, not volatile, or varying infrequently within a narrow range, not subject to mental illness or irrationality, fixed; firmly established; not to be easily moved. How many can say that they fit this description in their personality and makeup?

• Praise the Lord, this broke down what doubleminedness is and how we can overcome it once and for all as Children of God.  When we know what doublemind is, then we can overcome it and expel this from our lives.  My God, Everyone should read this powerful reading!

• The term double-minded comes from the Greek word dipsuchos, meaning “a person with two minds or souls.” It’s interesting that this word appears only in the book of James James 1. Bible scholars conclude that James might have coined this word. To grasp the full meaning of this word, it is best to understand how it is used within its context.

James writes of the doubting person that he is “like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does” John . A doubter is a double-minded person. Jesus had in mind such a person when He spoke of the one who tries to serve two masters  Mathew 6. As such, he is “unstable,” which comes from a Greek word meaning “unsteady, wavering, in both his character and feelings.”

A double-minded person is restless and confused in his thoughts, his actions, and his behavior. Such a person is always in conflict with himself. One torn by such inner conflict can never lean with confidence on God and His gracious promises. Correspondingly, the term unstable is analogous to a drunken man unable to walk a straight line, swaying one way, then another. He has no defined direction and as a result doesn’t get anywhere. Such a person is “unstable in all he does.”

Those who are double-minded do not have the faith spoken of in Hebrew 11; “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. . . . By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.” We cannot be both “certain” and doubting, as is the double-minded person.

• Lord God in the Name of Jesus...Forgive Us for Wavering at Times and Help Us Live According to The Words in  Romans 12:2 -  And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be [c]transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].

1 Corinthians 2:16 - 

For who has known the mind and purposes of the Lord, so as to instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ [to be guided by His thoughts and purposes].

Lord Break Every Stronghold in our minds and give us the Mind of Christ as we are being renewed in the Spirit of Our Mind according to Ephesians 4:23. You said in your Word that So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed according to John 8:36. We Know that we are to also adhere to 2 Corinthians 10:5 - 

We are destroying sophisticated arguments and every exalted and proud thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought and purpose captive to the obedience of Christ, and we must always Remember 

For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]. 

Thank You Father God...Jesus Our Savior...and The Holy Spirit for Guiding and Ordering our Steps And As We Keep Our Mind Stayed on You,  We Shall Have Perfect Peace in Jesus Name we Pray Amen...Amennnnnn...and Amennnnnnnnn...!!

Bible Gateway passage: Romans 12 - New International Version
    A Living Sacrifice - Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasi…
  • I suppose one having a double mind could forget about having a vision and making it plain.  Phantom loving one state of mind and hating the other.  Naught comes to naught.

• I concur Lord...

Apostle T-(Teyshana) Wiley... said:

Amen, Lord we need you to re-construct our mind, heart, to align with your word, hallelujah...

• Lord, I repent for the times, I've been double minded and unstable in Jesus name... Great study~meditating on this on to night...

• Yes Apostle I agree with that. 

Apostle T-(Teyshana) Wiley... said:

Amen, Lord we need you to re-construct our mind, heart, to align with your word, hallelujah...

This reply was deleted.