Have you ever played that game where one person has to close her eyes, fold her arms over her chest, and fall backward into the arms of friends or co-workers? It's called the "Trust Fall." If you're the person falling backward, you have to trust that the folks behind you are going to catch you so you don't hit the ground. I thought of that game when reading this passage from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 6): Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.... So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. I suspect the reason we tend to worry is that we're just not sure God is going to be there to catch us. We know God is big and strong, but somehow we're just not convinced that He knows our particular address. We think if something happens to us, God may be otherwise occupied with important cosmic events and not notice us. But Jesus is saying here, "Think of who you're talking about: your heavenly Father. He's not just powerful, He has a father's heart — in the very best sense of the term. He not only has the power (beyond measure) but the love, the care, and the concern to take care of what you need." Do we believe that? Jesus also says that when we don't trust God, we act like the pagans — nonbelievers. To them, the idea that God might act on their behalf simply isn't part of the equation. But to us who follow Christ, Jesus says, "Your heavenly Father knows what you need. Trust Him." Our task is to "seek first" (to focus, to live for) God's "kingdom and his righteousness." We're to make the Kingdom our top priority. We do that by investing ourselves in the Kingdom. We decide, by faith, that the Kingdom is where we're going to invest our time, our talent, our treasure. It all belongs to God anyway. Guess what? God already knows whether or not you and I trust Him. But how do we know it? It's easy for us to fool ourselves. We can say we trust God, but too often, we're don't trust Him enough to fold our arms, close our eyes, and fall backward, trusting that He's going to catch us. "But God, I need all of this money. If I give some away, I won't have enough!" Jesus says, "O ye of little faith. You have a heavenly Father who knows what you need. Trust Him." Investing in the Kingdom doesn't tell God where our hearts are. It tells us where our hearts are. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." "In God we trust." We do — don't we?

You need to be a member of I Am A Ruby Network! to add comments!

Join I Am A Ruby Network!

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ne'eman mat. 6:31-33 I love that scripture we really don't have to worry I heard a wise woman say if you gone pray there's no sense In worrying and if you gone worry there's no sense in praying and God tells us hisself that if you doubt when you pray you shouldn't ask him for a thing so we as kingdom believers have to trust our God up above and know that it going to happen for us.not in our time but in God's appointed time ne'eman. I seen this scripture come to pass over and over again so we must get us out the way we are the ones hindering our blessings.

• Exodus 19:5-6 - "Now if you obey me (the LORD) fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, you (Israel) will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.’ These are the words you are to speak to the Israelites.”

Isaiah 45:3 - "I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name."

Matthew 13:44-52 - "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

TREASURE  international Standard Bible Encyclopedia

TREASURE; TREASURER; TREASURY trezh'-ur, trezh'-ur-er, trezh'-ur-i (otsar, genaz, genez, ganzakh, chocen matmon, mickenah, mikhman, `athudh, saphan; gaza, thesauros):

I. In the Old Testament.

1. Treasure

The English word "treasure" has in the Old Testament at least five somewhat distinct meanings as expressed in the words: "treasure," genaz (Aramaic) or genez (Hebrew), usually meaning "the thing stored"; translated "treasures" in Ezra 6:1, but in Ezra 5:17 and Ezra 7:20 translated "treasure-house": "search made in the king's treasure-house." In Esther 3:9; 4:7 the Hebrew form is translated "treasury," as is ganzakh in 1 Chronicles 28:11.

2. Storehouse:

"Storehouse," not the thing stored but the place of storage; 'otsar means depository, cellar, garner, armory, store or treasure-house. In several places it ought to be translated by some of these words. It is the most frequent word for treasure. the English Revised Version and the American Standard Revised Version both translate in some instances by other words, e.g. 1 Kings 7:51, "treasuries of the house of Yahweh," so also 2 Chronicles 5:1; "treasury" in Nehemiah 7:70-71, "gave to the treasury a thousand darics of gold"; in Job 38:22, "treasuries of the snow" (compare Proverbs 8:21; Jeremiah 10:13; 51:16; Ezra 2:69).

3. Hidden Riches:

"Treasure" or something concealed. There are 3 Hebrew words with this meaning and all in the King James Version translated "treasure." (1) Matmon, which literally means "a secret storehouse" and so a secreted valuable, usually money buried, and so hidden riches of any kind, hid treasures: "treasure in your sacks" (Genesis 43:23); "dig for it more than for hid treasures" (Job 3:21); "search for her as for hid treasures" (Proverbs 2:4); "We have stores hidden in the field, of wheat," etc. (Jeremiah 41:8). (2) Mikhman, treasure as hidden, used only in Daniel 11:43: "have power over the treasures of gold and silver." (3) Saphan, meaning hidden treasure or valuables concealed: "hidden treasures of the sand" (Deuteronomy 33:19).

4. Strength:

Perhaps the strength of riches and so treasure, the Hebrew word being chocen, from a root meaning to hoard or lay up: "In the house of the righteous is much treasure" (Proverbs 15:6); "They take treasure and precious things" (Ezekiel 22:25).

5. Something Prepared:

"Something prepared," made ready, the Hebrew word being `athudh, meaning "prepared," "ready," therefore something of value and so treasure: "have robbed their treasures," fortifications or other things "made ready" (Isaiah 10:13).

In the Old Testament the Hebrew word most often translated "treasure" is 'otsar. It occurs in the sing. as follows: Deuteronomy 28:12; 1 Chronicles 29:8; Nehemiah 10:38; Psalms 17:14; 135:4; Proverbs 15:16; 21:20; Ecclesiastes 2:8; Isaiah 33:6; Daniel 1:2; Hosea 13:15; in the pl.: Deuteronomy 32:34; 1 Kings 14:26; 15:18; 2 Kings 12:18; 14:14; 16:8; 18:15; 20:13,15; 24:13, etc.

The same word is in the King James Version translated "treasuries" in 1 Chronicles 9:26; 28:12; 2 Chronicles 32:27; Nehemiah 13:12-13; Psalms 135:7; and "treasury" in Joshua 6:19,24; Jeremiah 38:11.

II. In the New Testament.

1. Gaza:

There are two words translated "treasure": 
    Gaza is of Persian origin, meaning "treasure." Found only once in Acts 8:27 concerning the Ethiopian "who was over all her (Queen Candace's) treasure." In the compound gazophulakion, "guarding of gaza," the same word appears and the compound is translated "treasury" in Mark 12:41,43 parallel Luke 21:1; John 8:20.

TEMPLE, A 1; TREASURY (OF TEMPLE).

2. Thesauros:

The word thesauros means literally, a "deposit," so wealth and treasure. Evidently throughout the New Testament it has a twofold usage as describing (1) material treasure, either money or other valuable material possession, and (2) spiritual treasure, e.g. "like unto treasure hid in a field" (Matthew 13:44); "good treasure of the heart" (Matthew 12:35). Other references to material treasure are Matthew 6:21; 13:52; Luke 12:21,34, etc. References to spiritual treasure are Matthew 19:21; Mark 10:21; Luke 6:45; 12:33; 18:22; plural Matthew 6:20; Colossians 2:3.

• I do agree Prophetess Carolyn -Seek and trust in God for your needs are supplied by Him, so don't worry about how you will obtain your own needs or doing as God wants for us to help others

Prophetess Carolyn A. Bighum said:

Trust God and not man.  Preserve me,  O God: for in thee do I put my trust Psalm16:1

Peace and Love:

• Ne'eman God did says in philippians 4:19 for my God shall supply all our needs according to his riches and glory the word of God so we know it's going to happen in Jesus Ne'eman 

• Trust God and not man.  Preserve me,  O God: for in thee do I put my trust Psalm16:1

Peace and Love:

• My GOD my GOD oh what a powerful lesson in GOD WE TRUST HALLELUJAH thank you JESUS. We as children of GOD who knows what all need. We have to trust and obey him and he said he will supply not some but ALL OF OUR NEEDS just trust GOD AMEN IN GOD WE TRUST.do you trust GOD? I KNOW  I DO.

• This is one of my favorite scriptures. This so true , because we don't know actly if we trust God with everything until he takes us throught  a test. When I think about this article all I can say is Lord help me trust you with everything known,and unknown.

• Amen yes we do trust him. Well I will speak for myself i do. I admit it was me who is gulity of saying if I do this or that God i wont have enough. Then i remember that God got me though so I should get double back later for the blessing im doing now. Not everyone understands the blessing of sacrifying. I know you been let down before and havent seen any miracles or results but look where you were before is why you wasnt. You wernt at the time trusting in God then. As a Christian we need to get our trust levels up. We need to really believe things will run more smoothly for us and worry will be less of an issue Cause our Father in Heavan got US! So lets take that Fall Back and close our eyes i knowvit easier said than done. But God needs us to trust him soblets trust him today.
  • Amen we have no other choice but to trust in Gof
  • AMEN. This passage of scripture spoke to the core of the spirit man! TRUST AND BELIEVE and see the Salvation of The Lord at work. He wants to bless and prosper us. We know Him to be El Shaddai, Our God of More Than Enough and Jehovah Jireh, The Lord Our Provider. We receive every blessing that you have for us and will put on the whole armor of God daily and carry out every mandate.

Pastor Prophet Marsha "FIRESTARTER" Jones 03/29/15

This reply was deleted.