But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills (1 Corinthians 12:11).
Today’s Devotional There is only one Holy Spirit, but He works in a multiplicity of ways. There are many spiritual gifts, but only one gift-giver: the Holy Spirit of God. The prophetic anointing manifests itself in many diverse ways, but they all derive from the same Spirit. This same diversity by the one Spirit applies also to visionary states and experiences. In fact, the New Testament uses a variety of Greek words to express different visionary states. None of these states are “higher” or “better” than any of the others. They are simply different, and the Holy Spirit uses them with different people for different purposes.
Let’s take a closer look at some of these visionary states.
Onar In Greek, onar is the common word for “dream.” It refers simply to the kind of dreaming we all do when we sleep. Everyday dreams are themselves visionary in nature, because our minds generate images that we “see” while we are asleep. As the Bible makes clear, God can and does use these common dreams to communicate with ordinary people.
Enupnion Like onar, the word enupnion refers to a vision or dream received while asleep. The difference with enupnion is that it stresses a surprise quality that is contained in that dream.
1. Why is it important to know that even though there are diverse spiritual gifts, there is only one Giver of those gifts? How does this bring us to respect the gifts that others have?
2. Look up the word anointing in a common dictionary. Then find three Scriptures that use this word. What have you learned about what anointing is? Are there specific ingredients that are necessary, even if it is manifested in various ways?
3. Do you have the ability to “sense” or know when the prophetic anointing is ready to manifest itself in you or others? In your experience, what takes place before prophecy is given in a corporate setting?
4. Have you or someone you know had an onar? What makes this visionary state different from “ordinary” dreams?
5. Have you or anyone you know experienced an enupnion? Why would God want to give a surprise in a dream?
Meditation Sometimes a “surprise element” is released through seer encounters. Watch out: ready or not, here He comes! How regular are seer encounters in your life? Do you take the time to wait and pray to receive visions and revelation from the Lord? Do you prepare for sleep by asking the Lord to speak to you while you sleep? Begin a regimen of preparation for bed that includes inviting God to bring revelation in the night hours.